Spitzhaubens

Can you see what i see? Pretty sickle feathers coming back in! His last pair almost dragged the ground. He has pretty saddle feathers too.

For those that dont know, Jake was attacked by a coyote a few months ago. He lost every single tail feather with some wounds under the wing. He's looking handsome again.:love
View attachment 1865066
So happy for Jake. He's back to being that handsome boy we all know & love!

These guys are about 14-15 weeks old. Both mild mannered and don't cause any trouble with the flock, but I had thought they were both pullets and now I'm thinking one of each. BUT I don't know what I'm talking about lol. What say you? Looking at the handsome Jake above makes me not so disappointed if I have a cockerel though. :) I'd also be curious if anyone wants to pick them apart conformationally. Thanks!
You've got a pair. Like said before its hard to tell muchbon the picture with the boy, but it does look like he has nice spangling on his chest. His wing spangles are really light, but the picture isnt great. Your girl is pretty, very nice spangles. Crest is poofy, I've come to learn that it's a hard thing to fix. I've got only 1 or 2 from 9 this year that have a good forward pointing crest.

Here are a couple more pictures if the boy with a little less orange sunset affecting his color, although they were all taken last night. One photobomb from an OEGB, but I just wondered if there were any better other than the photobomb.

Attachments

• IMG_20190801_201351.jpg
    IMG_20190801_201351.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20190801_201008~2.jpg
    IMG_20190801_201008~2.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 7
Not sure why the boy keeps holding his tail as he is.... it could just be that a more dominant rooster is there, so he is playing submissive......

But I would like to see if he ever holds his tail at a proper angle.

Last edited:
I thought his tail seemed kinda droopy, but I wasn't sure if that was just his age. They're all young but yes, there are definitely a couple that are more dominant. I'll keep taking pictures as he grows.

On a kids' nature show, I heard that puffin chicks are called pufflings....probably @Alaskan knows this already, since there are puffins in Alaska?
Anyway consequently I started calling my youngsters the Pufflings...they went out on adventure today. Usually they don't leave the run when the hens free range, but today they ventured a bit further into the yard, Beldar taking the lead and the girls sticking to him like glue. He hasn't crowed yet. 7+ wks.
8-2 pufflings out adventuring.jpg

This boy's going to freezer camp soon. He's got a nice temperament but I can't recommend him for breeding (too dark & no V comb) I think his comb must be small & hidden under his crest. He started crowing a couple weeks ago & it's getting stronger. Time for him to go. I'll miss seeing him strut around the backyard.
img_8886-jpg.1866205
img_8878-jpg.1866206

IMG_8872.JPG

Last edited:
This boy's going to freezer camp soon. He's got a nice temperament but I can't recommend him for breeding (too dark & no V comb) I think his comb must be small & hidden under his crest. He started crowing a couple weeks ago & it's getting stronger. Time for him to go. I'll miss seeing him strut around the backyard.
img_8886-jpg.1866205
img_8878-jpg.1866206

View attachment 1866331
He is dark. ...

What kind of comb does he have if it isn't a V?

Just curious as to the other gene's in there.

Back
Top Bottom