Spitzhaubens

Moonshine trying to convince her week old chicks to come outside...
Note that the 1st one to go down is the Spitzhauben! The others are all Sprights....
btw, last year's chicks came out readily at 3 days old

5-26 3 weeks.jpg Some Sprights and Spitzes in the brooder. 3 weeks. The Sprights have tiny little crests.

This was a few days ago, Moonshine with her babies outside....
Moonshine &.jpg
The chicks in the brooder are getting moved to a new little coop which is almost finished.

Today's pics
Moonshine and her brood 2 weeks. There is just one Spitzhauben, and it's by the waterer.
Moonshine & chicks 5 28 2 weeks.jpg
Spitz vs Spright 3 weeks
Spitz 5 28.jpg Spright 5 28.jpg Spitz vs Spright 5 28.jpg

Last edited:
They say broodiness is catchy, but for a non broody breed this is ridiculous!
20200531_094617.jpg

Momma's eggs started pipping yesterday and unzipping today, so at great risk of losing a finger, i brought her and her box of eggs into the garage. She has 5 spitz eggs and 1 ee/spitz egg. I gave the about to hatch ee egg to the lavender who hasnt gotten up to eat, drink or poop in a week. I actually forced her out this morning for 20 minutes this morning. I dont think my orp eggs are fertile. I dont see anything under her developed or in my inky. So shell have to raise a singleton. Inhope this will make her happy.

The other two broody spitz have 4 and 2 eggs respectively. I'll let the other spitz add one more to Spitzers nest tomorrow for 3. Spitzer is the least dedicated right now. Im over run with spitzies. I still have 6 left over from what I hatched out. One for sure is a girl. Petite, but has some missing feathers on her back. I think she always found herself on the bottom of the pile and it caused her to lose her feathers. At least two are mles because they are practicing their crow. Of course those two are the ones with the nice crests.....🙄

Back
Top Bottom