Spitzhaubens

Getting older.

20210823_133338.jpg

Jude is now 3 months old, a gangly teenager. Growing up alone, they all ignore him as far as I can see.
He doesn’t dare crow, at least yet. He keeps his distance from everyone, except to dash in and grab a treat then run. They still ignore him. He roosts in a separate coop, by choice, where he grew up. Mom moved back in with the flock after he was weaned.

DDEC4FFF-44AB-4C94-96DF-9CCD751EA174.jpeg
FB68B953-8A8B-48F8-87BD-B50AE0E1B3BB.jpeg

Jude is now 3 months old, a gangly teenager. Growing up alone, they all ignore him as far as I can see.
He doesn’t dare crow, at least yet. He keeps his distance from everyone, except to dash in and grab a treat then run. They still ignore him. He roosts in a separate coop, by choice, where he grew up. Mom moved back in with the flock after he was weaned.

View attachment 2830142
View attachment 2830141
Nice spangles.

Hi everyone, how are you and your Spitzhaubens doing? This is our first morning in the 30’s here, but no freeze yet.
Here is our solo cockerel Jude, almost 5 months, gangly and goofy. He began crowing for the first time yesterday. More of an owl-ish sound, OOOOooooººº over and over. Beldar the rooster really took notice and began chasing him. Today,I noticed, Jude is very quiet. I’m not sure how this will work out.

02D4860A-1739-4048-8FD6-4F72C721CDE2.jpeg

Hi everyone, how are you and your Spitzhaubens doing? This is our first morning in the 30’s here, but no freeze yet.
Here is our solo cockerel Jude, almost 5 months, gangly and goofy. He began crowing for the first time yesterday. More of an owl-ish sound, OOOOooooººº over and over. Beldar the rooster really took notice and began chasing him. Today,I noticed, Jude is very quiet. I’m not sure how this will work out.

View attachment 2867789
Still good looking. Nice spacing on his spangles.

My favorite grow out of my chicks got himself stuck between a dog crate and the wall... crazy freak accident... and died. :( Super sucks.

I am not sure about the rest of the bunch.... of the 6 there are 2 clear culls.... but other than that.

I REALLY should have hatched out way more... I can't remember why I didn't. Ah well...maybe this coming spring.

View attachment 2867789
He's really a handsome youngster! The chasing is actually pretty normal.. the Master is letting the teenager know who's boss. Personally, I like having a Junior/Senior pair in the flock. Senior stays more vigilant and Junior watches and learns. It makes the cockerel a better harem-master when his turn comes, whether it's in my own flock or someone else's.

Hi group,

I keep trying to raise spitzhaubens but I can't have roos (mean neighbors complained, the police came, it was a whole fiasco). So far, this spitzhauben endeavor has been a bust (cracked eggs arriving in the mail, sick chicks arriving in the mail etc.), and after raising two clutches, all I have are these two juvies left-- one is 3 months, 1 week and the other is 3 months, 3 weeks. Can you tell me if they are boys or girls? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• spitz-oct1.jpg
    spitz-oct1.jpg
    837.5 KB · Views: 5
  • spitz-oct2.jpg
    spitz-oct2.jpg
    966.8 KB · Views: 5
  • spitz-oct3.jpg
    spitz-oct3.jpg
    995.7 KB · Views: 5
  • spitz-oct4.jpg
    spitz-oct4.jpg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 5
Hi group,

I keep trying to raise spitzhaubens but I can't have roos (mean neighbors complained, the police came, it was a whole fiasco). So far, this spitzhauben endeavor has been a bust (cracked eggs arriving in the mail, sick chicks arriving in the mail etc.), and after raising two clutches, all I have are these two juvies left-- one is 3 months, 1 week and the other is 3 months, 3 weeks. Can you tell me if they are boys or girls? Thanks!!!
Wait, so which photos are which chicken? Go left to right, top, then bottom.....I’m seeing what I think is at least one male.

Back
Top Bottom