Splash Silkie keeps putting head between legs

chickenbuttsowhat

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Danville, Arkansas
i had a splash silkie about a month ago who kept putting her head between her legs like she was having a seizure or something she was about 2 months old i gave her some antibiotics and she stop doing it for a lil bit then again few days later then she would get so weak couldnt stand up i had 2 close calls of her dieing then one day went out and she was gone i tryed everything i could think of try to save her well today i went out and now her big sister is doing it, shes about 3 months old. why r they keep putting thier heads between their legs they r breathing fine, eyes and nose r clear, no pest i dust them once a month and i de wormed them last week so i dont understand why they r doing that. my other silkies (buff, blue, and white) r fine just seems i have no luck with my splash what should i do?! also i have 2 buffs who was born normal then as they kept growing their beaks start going crucked what causes that as well???

new borns get medicated chick feed untill they go to what we call the big brooder when their wing feathers reach to their butts then slowly switch to normal feed then they go to day care after they get all their feathers where they eat normal chick feed with lil chopped corn if its cold cold

How tall is the brooder and could they have hit their heads?

Also, search for "wry neck". Sounds like what it could be.

Last edited:
the big brooder is about 2 ft high and 4 ft long the day care is a small chicken coop that has a small run with the top covered with a tarp so no hawks or any animal can get my young ones i keep my silkies and young chicks in there so my big hens dont pick on them untill they r really old enough to fight back. inside the small chicken coop about 4 ft high inside

Silkies are known to get wry neck. I would give them poly visol without iron (baby vitamins) for a few days and see if there is improvement.

Back
Top Bottom