Spraddle leg on a six months old pullet

chicchcks

Hatching
Jul 23, 2015
Would it still be possible to fix spraddle legs on a pullet six months old? I am looking at a kijiji ad of a chicken with spraddle legs, the owner will cull unless someone takes her in.

I would be wary that this pullet might have Marek's disease rather than spraddle leg at 6 months old.... that is a common age for Marek's and an uncommon age for spraddle leg which usually affects chicks.

If it is Marek's, then culling might be the kindest thing for it, although I personally nurse them whilst their quality of life is still reasonable. It is a horrible, heart breaking disease though and not worth the risk in my opinion.

Last edited:
I would be wary that this pullet might have Marek's disease rather than spraddle leg at 6 months old.... that is a common age for Marek's and an uncommon age for spraddle leg which usually affects chicks. 

If it is Marek's, then culling might be the kindest thing for it, although I personally nurse them whilst their quality of life is still reasonable. It is a horrible, heart breaking disease though and not worth the risk in my opinion.

Oh, I did not take into consideration Marek's disease. Thank you for informing me.

If she's had it since hatch then it's not Marek's but it's also highly likely it's incurable. If you're willing to meet the specific requirements of keeping a special needs chicken for its potential 10-12 year natural lifespan, including tailoring waterers, feeders, and coop design to its needs and being sure that it is not injured by the other birds, then I see no reason not to take it in. But if you are not willing to deal with a bird that cannot be treated and will be disabled for likely the rest of its life, then pass over the bird and leave it to be culled. Millions of chickens are killed every day besides this bird and if there is no one willing to provide her with a good standard of care then it would be kindest.

Back
Top Bottom