Spraddle leg, wry neck or both?

Remiel

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2021
Manitoba
So I had a heat spike early in incubation period that took out most of my eggs but somehow miraculously two managed to somehow make it and hatched out Wednesday night. But I've got a two day old chick here who can't stand and holds her neck over her back. I've dealt with wry neck before in older birds so I have some confidence in treating that but she doesn't stand straight and I'm not sure if it's just because of the wry neck throwing off her balance or she's also dealing with spraddle leg. She's also got a spot where her yolk sack would be, not sure if that's an issue because it was fully inside when she hatched but there's a little bald patch around it. I have her in a small bowl for now to try and keep her contained but she's usually pushed her way out whenever I check on her and is quite active despite her condition.

Once she was dried off yesterday I gave her a drop of polyvisol and today she's been getting boiled yolk mixed with water and polyvisol. She does drink it and she's only two days old so she's still got some yolk time left. I've just been keeping her and broodmate in the incubator for now since she can't easily move herself out of warm or cool spots just yet but I'd like to get the other chick drinking water without this one possibly drowning. Other chick is pecking at food already when I put her in the brooder while feeding first chick so I have put food in the incubator as well.

Should I just deal with the wry neck for now and see if the spraddle leg goes away on its own or treat it now just in case while it's easier to deal with?

Attachments

• 20211217_192743.jpg
    20211217_192743.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20211217_193100.jpg
    20211217_193100.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211217_193111.jpg
    20211217_193111.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211217_193200.jpg
    20211217_193200.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 15
Treat both. The wry neck should resolve quickly with vitamin E oil mixed into some egg yolk. The spraddle leg needs to be treated because the chick will be trying to stand and you want to use that urge to get it to respond to the treatment.

Make the hobbles so the legs are out front. The chick will appear to struggle, but as it gains strength, it will soon pull itself to an upright position. Hopefully the wry neck resolves first so it shouldn't interfere.

So I had a heat spike early in incubation period that took out most of my eggs but somehow miraculously two managed to somehow make it and hatched out Wednesday night. But I've got a two day old chick here who can't stand and holds her neck over her back. I've dealt with wry neck before in older birds so I have some confidence in treating that but she doesn't stand straight and I'm not sure if it's just because of the wry neck throwing off her balance or she's also dealing with spraddle leg. She's also got a spot where her yolk sack would be, not sure if that's an issue because it was fully inside when she hatched but there's a little bald patch around it. I have her in a small bowl for now to try and keep her contained but she's usually pushed her way out whenever I check on her and is quite active despite her condition.

Once she was dried off yesterday I gave her a drop of polyvisol and today she's been getting boiled yolk mixed with water and polyvisol. She does drink it and she's only two days old so she's still got some yolk time left. I've just been keeping her and broodmate in the incubator for now since she can't easily move herself out of warm or cool spots just yet but I'd like to get the other chick drinking water without this one possibly drowning. Other chick is pecking at food already when I put her in the brooder while feeding first chick so I have put food in the incubator as well.

Should I just deal with the wry neck for now and see if the spraddle leg goes away on its own or treat it now just in case while it's easier to deal with?
Hey there, just wondering if you had an update on your chick?

Back
Top Bottom