Spraddle legged?!?Please help!

Jrd7788

Songster
Oct 27, 2018
I had a couple pigeons hatch 2 weeks or so ago and they’re just getting old enough to start trying to fly and jumping out of the nests. I came in this evening and noticed one baby on the floor in a little huddle, with its sibling by it. The sibling tried to get away from me and was lively, but the other one was just huddled there, and when he/she tried to get away it couldn’t walk well on the pads of its feet and was walking on the back of its legs. Everything I’ve looked up says spraddle leg. How would you fix that in a young pigeon? I’ve only seen remedies for chicks but I assume it’s different. Also, would I have to separate and feed it separately, and if so how would you do that because they need milk/ what their parents make for them. I’m new to pigeons so please be nice lol. Another thing, this morning the baby in question was perfectly fine, and now its neck is stripped of feathers and raw and bloody. Would that have any relation to its feet which were also fine this morning? And if so any ideas what caused these injuries. Pictures will be attached. TIA

Last edited:
Spraddle leg in pigeons is treated same as in chicks. I am confused however, because this condition does not happen overnight and you said the feel were fine the previous day? Also the picture doesn't show me a definite spraddle leg. Could be, but I'm not sure.

The wound I would guess is an attack by another adult cockbird in your loft.

When I had vulnerable youngsters like these I have protected them by moving the nest into a cage leaving the door open for the parents to go in to feed their babies but the babies couldnt get out and other birds were not inclined to enter the cage. As the babies grew they began to come out but would run back to safety if bullied. It really doesn't take them too long to figure out their place in the flock.

If you don't have a cage use a cardboard box to make a safe nest box.

Babies only get crop milk for the first week or so. At 2 weeks it's easy to hand feed it you prefer to bring the baby inside till it can defend itself.

The wound will most likely heal on its own.
This his GREAT advice for @Jrd7788 !

@Jrd7788 you got this! Let us know if you have any more questions.

I already fed it using some advice I found on another post on this website, I fed it with peas and some mashed chicken food and I got the peas warm and more mushy but not like liquid and put my hand near it’s head and used my other hand to guide it to my hand and it ate a fair amount then decided it was done. It’s crop wasn’t as full as it could’ve been but it’s a start :) thanks for all the help :) I’ll update this with the babies outcome

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
this is the pigeon in question.It’s a roller pigeon if that makes any difference. Very friendly and perky, just can’t get around too well andit’s neck looks bad. It does get to where it wants to go but with lots of stumbling and tripping.

Last edited:
Let us know what you decide to do and if you need advice on hand feeding. Is there a nest box you can return the babies to?
They’re on a sort of open shelf that I had used for chickens that’s attached to the wall, but there’s an empty nest box with a hole cut in the side that has a block I can put on it and take the top off so the babies can’t get out but an adult can. Do you think it would hurt it to take it out and separate? I’ve never hand feed a pigeon before either, I literally just got pigeons maybe 3 months ago lol so I’m still learning. The first babies I had there was an adult female pigeon who was picking up the babies and dropping them from the nests, but I put her in a cage by her self inside the loft and she stopped after a few days in the cage.
I only assume it’s spraddle leg because it’s sibling walks perfectly normally and doesn’t trip and fall whereas this one stumbles and walks uncertainly but maybe it could be something different.

Sorry, I can't seem to copy the link but if you go to the thread called Pigeon bulletin board, page 32, you will find the start of my posts on hand feeding. I hadno more experience than you at the time.
I ground up chicken pellets in water to the consistency of ketchup for the formula.
Frozen green peas thawed in hot water can also be fed by hand.
Food for baby pigeons should be given at about body temperature. They should be fed twice a day but be sure crop empties between feedings.

@biophiliac Ive watched the baby because I didn’t think it was definitely spraddle leg and it hasn’t gotten worse but since they’re on a sort of ledge thing when the parents fly up to feed them, the babies jump up and since this one walks on its legs when it tries to jump it falls and doesn’t get fed. It’s crop was empty each time I checked and the siblings was full, so I think I’m going to try to hand feed it. When I go to pick it up as well it flaps it’s wings and squeaks and tries to fed from my hand.
I looked up some things and it says mashed up peas , b it since pigeons don’t open their mouths to get fed and instead they kind of dig out the food, I assume a syringe wouldn’t work, so any tips? I was thinking just close my hand in a loose fist and try that maybe.

Back
Top Bottom