Spreading Diotome for parasites etc.

My Puck Pucks

In the Brooder
May 23, 2022
I'm not sure how to spread the 'terre Diatome' in the coop. They say it's not dangerous for my hens, but I want to know how much or how little I must use and how to spread it.

DE -- Diatomaceous Earth (the English translation), is a respiratory irritant that is, at best, merely ineffective, and can, at worst, cause breathing problems for you and your birds.

It has some limited effectiveness when used to keep bugs out of food but is completely useless once damp.

IMO, if you actually *have* a mite or lice problem you need to use an effective insecticide.

If you don't have one then there's no point to treating something that doesn't exist. :)

Where, in general, are you? If you put your location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice. Climate matters -- and, for things like this, laws and product availability vary tremendously in different countries and regions.

DE -- Diatomaceous Earth (the English translation), is a respiratory irritant that is, at best, merely ineffective, and can, at worst, cause breathing problems for you and your birds.

It has some limited effectiveness when used to keep bugs out of food but is completely useless once damp.

IMO, if you actually *have* a mite or lice problem you need to use an effective insecticide.

If you don't have one then there's no point to treating something that doesn't exist. :)

Where, in general, are you? If you put your location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice. Climate matters -- and, for things like this, laws and product availability vary tremendously in different countries and regions.
I live in the province of Quebec, Canada.

Thank you. I didn't use it finally. I took your advice.

Back
Top Bottom