Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics

these are our BCM's that arrived yesterday, and the coop/run in progress. Hubby has done more since these pics were taken, but I haven't taken more pics yet.

I shouldn't have gone to tractor supply....I said no more chicks yet somehow managed to convince myself I needed 2 ducklings. FML. my husband is going to kill me when he gets home lol!

We are new to chickens!

We are getting our chicks:
2 blue laced red Wyandottes this Friday

Next Friday
2 Welsumners
2 Buff Orpingtons
4 Americanas .. Easter Eggers
2 Speckled Sussex

First 2 weeks in April
2 Salmon Faverolles
2 black austrolorps
3 White Silkies

Will post pics of our coop and run soon!
We need to finish adding in our sand. But have enough to start our 2 babies off tomorrow. You can clearly see that no chicks have actually lived in here yet!

automatic feeders

2nd MHP... will have our 10 babies using the main coop as brooder since we don't have any grown hens.

built in brooder. You can see under the brooder doors a piece of PVC pipe... that is our automatic waterers. I will have to get a better pic of those.

Ha! our doxie, Jasmine!

Quote:
I wanted to update folks on my vigil to keep the little wry neck / stargazing chick alive.

First, I'll just say it. She passed away about 5 minutes ago. I was holding her and she was quite calm. Very peaceful. She simply stopped.

This morning she was standing upright so I was excited, but by around 0900 she was back to the backbend and not being able to eat or drink. I kept up with going to the brooder and giving her water with Sav A Chick every 20 mins or so. I was finally able to go to TSC and pick up Nutri Drench around noon, but it was too late. She was very weak by this point, but I still gave her a drop (that was harder than I anticipated!) and continued with water and a soupy mix of water and crumble. I also tried tiny bits of egg. I had to step out for a few hours and left her with a stuffed animal, which she curled up under. She slept with it last night too. Another member on one of the other threads recommended giving her a stuff animal for comfort and to cuddle under.

I was totally prepared to open my box from McMurray and have a few dead chicks ... it was much harder watching one slowly go over 24 hours!

In the future, I will make sure to have something like Nutri Drench on hand when I have chicks.

My other 26 chicks are all still running around like little champions! Had to clean a few pasty butts, but I am going to start putting some apple cider vinegar in their water. That poo can really get caked on!

I wanted to update folks on my vigil to keep the little wry neck / stargazing chick alive. 

First, I'll just say it. She passed away about 5 minutes ago. I was holding her and she was quite calm. Very peaceful. She simply stopped. 

This morning she was standing upright so I was excited, but by around 0900 she was back to the backbend and not being able to eat or drink. I kept up with going to the brooder and giving her water with Sav A Chick every 20 mins or so. I was finally able to go to TSC and pick up Nutri Drench around noon, but it was too late. She was very weak by this point, but I still gave her a drop (that was harder than I anticipated!) and continued with water and a soupy mix of water and crumble. I also tried tiny bits of egg. I had to step out for a few hours and left her with a stuffed animal, which she curled up under. She slept with it last night too. Another member on one of the other threads recommended giving her a stuff animal for comfort and to cuddle under. 

I was totally prepared to open my box from McMurray and have a few dead chicks ... it was much harder watching one slowly go over 24 hours! 

In the future, I will make sure to have something like Nutri Drench on hand when I have chicks. 

My other 26 chicks are all still running around like little champions! Had to clean a few pasty butts, but I am going to start putting some apple cider vinegar in their water. That poo can really get caked on!

I'm sorry to hear that. Glad the rest are doing well

Back
Top Bottom