Pics
Nice!! I thought about getting Marans or Welsummers to have some more variety in my eggs (dark eggs or speckled) but then I didn’t. Good luck with the hatches!!

I love dark eggs and was unsure of how dark hatchery marans would be. You can see 2 marans in this batch. Most of the light browns are sussex with the slightly darker being golden laced wyandotte. One lone silver spangled hamburg in the bottom right. Pardon the dirty eggs. Most of them haven't figured out the nest boxes yet.

Attachments

• 20190208_180337.jpg
    20190208_180337.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 23
No, I haven't been. I'll stop by later ;) :p

Yay!

I love dark eggs and was unsure of how dark hatchery marans would be. You can see 2 marans in this batch. Most of the light browns are sussex with the slightly darker being golden laced wyandotte. One lone silver spangled hamburg in the bottom right. Pardon the dirty eggs. Most of them haven't figured out the nest boxes yet.

Wow those are pretty dark eggs!

Coming right up! ;)

Thank you!

What lovely variety in color!

I lucked out and got alot of girl birds with fry pan, some one said they will just put the catcher under sex link birds, but even the welsummers which are easily sexlinked they gave me both boys and girls. (unless they had a newby picking chicks for me, or someone in a hurry.) I told them right off the bat, as far as the fry pan, I wanted any bird, any size, not just meaty ones, and I would do my best to find homes, and keep any female, or interesting male I was sent. I got about 8 diff breeds, they really went out of their way to please me, plus gave me females. The BA, and the BR , and the meal maker were the only requested females. All the birds are friendly. I had my eye on a BO boy to keep I nicknamed "Tuffy" but that one looks female.

No problem! And that’s good!! We can technically have one here I think but we have close neighbors in the back despite being on almost 3 acres so I don’t think they would appreciate a rooster haha plus I don’t think I would either :lau but yeah, I think a lot depends on breed and individual chicken too but there are lots of nice ones and raising it yourself I think will definitely help :) one thing I will say though is I have heard some RIR roos can be really mean so if you get one, I wouldn’t get an RIR roo. I would get maybe an Orpington roo or an Ameraucana or Easter Egger. Those are all supposed to be really nice roos, especially EEs. Or if you want purebreds, I think a BR or Australorp should be good. Although if you get a roo from a breed that lays cool colors, you can hatch more colorful layers. :D and that’s awesome! I bet you are!! Raising them from chicks is a lot of fun! :)
Hi Kelsey I think I may bring home a Welsummer rooster since I am getting some welsummer hens...I hear they are gorgeous. At least he can be nice to look at even he becomes a monster :gig

What lovely variety in color!

X2

I lucked out and got alot of girl birds with fry pan, some one said they will just put the catcher under sex link birds, but even the welsummers which are easily sexlinked they gave me both boys and girls. (unless they had a newby picking chicks for me, or someone in a hurry.) I told them right off the bat, as far as the fry pan, I wanted any bird, any size, not just meaty ones, and I would do my best to find homes, and keep any female, or interesting male I was sent. I got about 8 diff breeds, they really went out of their way to please me, plus gave me females. The BA, and the BR , and the meal maker were the only requested females. All the birds are friendly. I had my eye on a BO boy to keep I nicknamed "Tuffy" but that one looks female.

Wow that is awesome!! Sounds like you really did luck out!!

Here is a welsummer egg with other eggs, I got the hen last year from a lady that was sent chicks as packing peanuts. I do not know which hatchery it was from.View attachment 1668309

Pretty egg! What bird is the greenish olive speckled one from?

Hi Kelsey I think I may bring home a Welsummer rooster since I am getting some welsummer hens...I hear they are gorgeous. At least he can be nice to look at even he becomes a monster :gig

They really are gorgeous! And I think Welsummers are pretty nice! So you should be okay :lau

Back
Top Bottom