Pics
About 3 more days for me :he I'm ready to roll :)
20190331_152004.jpg

I got chicks about 1.5 weeks ago..Completely new to chickens, but I did a fair amount of research and bought a "Raising Chickens" book before I got them. So far it is pretty exciting. A lot easier to raise that this book or some things I've read online make it out to be. Blows my mind how fast they grow (and how much water they consume). I was actually a little worried the other day, as one of my RIR had a sour milk smell to her. I wasn't sure what was going on as she was acting fine, eating and drinking and chasing around the other chickens with meal worms. As of today, the sour milk smell has faded and she still is acting fine, so I'm assuming she is ok.

Happy spring chickening! Haha

Last edited:
Ok, I got them March 23, so, almost 2 weeks I've had them now. I think the Rhode Islands are a few days, maybe a week older than the rest? One of the ISA browns almost looked like she wasn't growing for the first week, but has recently caught up. Here is a picture from a few days ago...
chicks.JPG

I got chicks about 1.5 weeks ago..Completely new to chickens, but I did a fair amount of research and bought a "Raising Chickens" book before I got them. So far it is pretty exciting. A lot easier to raise that this book or some things I've read online make it out to be. Blows my mind how fast they grow (and how much water they consume). I was actually a little worried the other day, as one of my RIR had a sour milk smell to her. I wasn't sure what was going on as she was acting fine, eating and drinking and chasing around the other chickens with meal worms. As of today, the sour milk smell has faded and she still is acting fine, so I'm assuming she is ok.

Happy spring chickening! Haha

:wee:eek: :love:wee

@-BOGGS- Those are ADORABLE!

How far did they have to travel?

Ok, I got them March 23, so, almost 2 weeks I've had them now. I think the Rhode Islands are a few days, maybe a week older than the rest? One of the ISA browns almost looked like she wasn't growing for the first week, but has recently caught up. Here is a picture from a few days ago...View attachment 1726011

Awwwww they’re all so adorable!!! :love

Also do they have grit? If they are getting treats/food other than their chick feed then they really should have it. They need it to break down/digest food. For their feed it breaks down easily and isn’t necessary but if they’re getting other stuff besides it they should have it and adults should have grit and oyster shell (for calcium) free choice all the time. The chicks are too young for oyster shell atm but grit may help. Make sure it’s chick sized. If you already have it then ignore this but the sour smell could potentially have been sour crop and now that the smell is gone, I am assuming it has passed through her crop by now but the grit will help her digest that food/keep it moving to prevent that from happening again.

They do NOT have grit. As far as what I read, I was under the impression adults who were free ranged needed it. I will be heading to town soon and will stop and look for some chick sized grit. Thank you so much

Mine only traveled a 100 miles..I'm super happy :celebrate ..I hope I get a roo like my old one..he was the best roo I ever had :(

Back
Top Bottom