Spring Cleaning

packmomma

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Argos, IN
Well yesterday it was almost 70 out! I decided it was time to get ready for chicks and Spring. What I thought was going to take an hour actually took 3 but I cleaned the non chicken half of the coop...ewww the dust. I had to basically wash everything. Who knew chickens would be so dusty!! They were all happy scratching the yard and the cat was happy cause she has a clean place to lay. Believe it or not I have one cat that just showed up one day..she's the only cat the dog likes and she likes the chickens! She's my chicken coop cat and is going to have babies. She's been in that coop all winter..I dont know how she got preggy!
ep.gif
But anyway I cleaned up the area for the chicks. I just need a couple more adult feeders for when they get bigger..and well of course CHICKS!! It was so funny I asked my hubby...so how many chicks should we get this year and he's like..um..none! but I talked him into getting broiler chicks and about 5 more Isa browns. unfortunatly if I want more chicks I have to "replace" some chickens.. them girls better start laying quantity and quality eggs or..........
sickbyc.gif
I do love chicks...!

We did spring cleaning last week it looks and smells so much nicer now. And we put in these new nest boxes that i bought on line $300 with the shipping but they are so awesome They have removable baskets for easy cleaning. My eggs have been so clean I have started selling them again. Before the ducks would sit on them and get them filthy I was throwing them away. I have been finding it a joy again to go out to the coop and have been visititing my flock 3 and 4 times a day. Course I'm not getting much done in the house.
lau.gif

spring cleaning here too!! although the main coop needs a quick wash inside,.,.. i plan to spray it down, and let it dryout. i put lineloeum down so, maybe just spray that down.
it was in the 60s in ct. ...so nice
smile.png

i got so engergized, i changed the curtains in the house!!
i ususally do that , but i did it earlier.
i put white cafe ones in the kitchen that looks out to the coop!! so nice!!
i think my girls outside waved to me.
wink.png

We started that, too. This weekend we will be getting the duck pen and the brooding room cleaned out. That will leave us with the rooster coop and the last half of the hen coop to do.

Spring cleaning.... I wish. They say it will get to 40 today and the snow is slowly shrinking from 3' down to less than 1' but it has been raining for days and there is no where for the water to go. Other than into by barn
barnie.gif

I have a river literally running through my barn. In one door and out the other. The "dust" that was on the floor is now a wet slimy substance that stinks like nothing I have experienced. And at night when the temps dip below freezing my doors freeze shut
somad.gif

Spring Cleaning.... It may be a month away for me
sad.png

I cleaned the duck coop last week. I use the deep litter method and went out to collect eggs and realized the litter seemed awful soft and spongy instead of frozen solid. So, coop cleaning time! It wasn't too bad, but I only did the floor. When the rain stops and it gets warmer out I'm going to wipe down the walls and get rid of all the dust.

We have had unusually cold weather in Florida and last weekend was so beautiful, I got out to the chicken condo and changed all of the bedding and let everyone out to play..Boy,...there was sure some wing flapping going on!!! I flapped mine a few times with them!!!!
wee.gif

I was driving through town and saw a big sign at Ace Hardware that says CHICKS ARE HERE!!
ep.gif
Well I couldnt pass that up! I went in and checked them out but they didnt have the quantity I wanted on anything so I placed my order. They said orders are slow because of the hatchery isnt quite ready yet. But I should get them in at the most a couple weeks.
clap.gif
It will be warm enough for them to place an order next week so maybe by next weekend!! I am so excited. I have 10 broiler chicks for food..and I stress the food part..not pets.. but then I bought 5 more isa browns for pets. Only problem is I have to hire my dad to do the dirty deed on the 10 cause they are still totally cute at adults and I just cant kill cute things. I can eat them once they are dead however..lol.

Back
Top Bottom