"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

I am really happy with the variety of colors that my boys are throwing. I love sharing my chicks. My previous Roo was mean. He fathered my six Ameraucana, Marans mixed hens. They are pretty friendly though and my two Roos are non aggressive. My Blue Wheaten always feeds his girls first. He never hurts them while breeding either. I will be really upset if anything ever happens to him. I realize that as loving as he is to his girls that it is a probability that he could die protecting them as if he sees a hawk, he goes off getting all his girls safe before he hides. He doesn't have one bad thing about his attitude. He even eats out of my hand.

I named him Skipper for my son who loves "Penguins of Madagascar".
That is awesome, our BO roo is good with his girls but not so much with people. He usually stays away but sometimes he will come at you. I'm thinking we need to find a new rooster!

So I set 8 BLRW, 3 SS, 1 BCM / RIR cross, 10 SLP eggs, and 4 SLP crosses on March 30th. I also have another 12 silkie eggs coming in next week that I am going to manually turn and up the humidity and hope for a better hatch than 0% the last time I tried silkies.

woot.gif

I am going ahead and joining in.

Today I set 4 yellow gold pheasant eggs and 24 Pharoah coturnix quail eggs
Great welcome!

Heard my first peep! Peeked in the window and saw three external pips out of 11 so far! Yippee!!! Life is good! Had a rough day yesterday at work, so nothing like bringing a little life into the world to make it better. :)

Had the hovabator at about 35 humidity and increased it to 60 this morning with a wet paper towel, becauseit was still hanging down at 35. Hoping for a great hatch! :) I have about half silkies and half large breed chickens (plymouth rock hens crossed with my largest any other breed fair winning rooster.) .
woot.gif

Getting ready to go into lock down with my golden necked d'uccles! Tomorrow is day 18...

And yesterday was so beautiful, I stayed outside working most of the day. Got a pretty red glow from it, because of course I didn't think the first day that it was about 63 degrees I would need sunscreen! But on a good note, got the second roosts poop board up, got the oyster shell hopper mounted to the wall by the feeders, and another nest box in (which no one is brave enough to use yet). Getting ~5 eggs a day now!
celebrate.gif
And I have been eating omelettes and scrambled eggs almost every morning for 2 weeks now. So delicious!
I love it, locking down, warm weather, and plenty of eggs for breakfast each day!

@Sally Sunshine , picture of the DIS are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ing-lots-of-graphic-pictures/10#post_14983167

Warning - graphic pictures!

-Kathy
Thanks for the info and warning Kathy!

Ok i got bator number two set up , just gotta watch it to make sure its perfect , i got some eggs yesterday gathered but hoping to add more later lol on the even brighter side i managed to sell some of the easter hal chicks lol
woot.gif
, and good job on getting the EHAL chicks sold!

Day 7 candle update. 1 Sally's projects, 3 saphires, and 4 Cream legbar had blood rings. That leaves 4 projects, 4 sapphire, 3 cream legbar and 7 Lavender Orpington.
That's pretty good.

Hi joining the April 2016 hatching a long. Went into lockdown last night. No movement seen yet.
Welcome, what do you have hatching?

Hi joining the April 2016 hatching a long. Went into lockdown last night. No movement seen yet.

Fun! It is so hard to wait! I have three pipped right now, and can't wait! Cleaned my incubator windows (only on the outside) to kill some time. I'm like a kid at Christmas. :)

Getting ready to go into lock down with my golden necked d'uccles! Tomorrow is day 18...

And yesterday was so beautiful, I stayed outside working most of the day. Got a pretty red glow from it, because of course I didn't think the first day that it was about 63 degrees I would need sunscreen! But on a good note, got the second roosts poop board up, got the oyster shell hopper mounted to the wall by the feeders, and another nest box in (which no one is brave enough to use yet). Getting ~5 eggs a day now!
celebrate.gif
And I have been eating omelettes and scrambled eggs almost every morning for 2 weeks now. So delicious!
I wanna see pics of the D'Uccles!

Back
Top Bottom