"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

how do you keep yourself from opening the bator up the take the one lil chick out? It's heartbreaking listening to it cry. I know don't it will shrinkwrap the others up. but it's in there yelling mommy come back mommy mommy LOL

9 have hatched so far
jumpy.gif

3 pips and nothing from 2 eggs. Have quickly moved 7 dry ones to the brooder, left a couple of damp ones in there.
Pictures Yet?? I don't believe you without pictures...

are these air cells looking ok? day 12 ish last night
@Sally Sunshine
Yes, look ok.

Wow so much happening here in the past few days! I hope I can get caught up today
1f600.png

I just set another 11 shipped black/lavender split bantam Cochins last night in the Brinsea...

We ended up with 13 Marans total from my flock. The power outage eggs all hatched and the stuck zipper during the outage is also healthy and doing great
yippiechickie.gif

I got 10 blue coppers, 2 splashes and 1 black!
I caught most of them at snack time :)

I just received 7 self blue bantam Cochins in the mail today from Ideal. (I was curious to know their quality)... And I'm completely freaking out! I knew they sent extras for warmth but holy $&@!
They sent me 16 barred rock packing peanuts!!!!!
1f62e.png
1f62e.png
1f62e.png
1f62e.png
Congratulations! Lots of peanuts.

Quote: Hopefully they don't explode. I would pull def. clears though.

eggs arrived today. Tried candling them but either I am blind or there is no air cell
Did you candle in the dark? Wider end? What color are the egg shells?

• I am completely overwhelmed by breed choices... What I really want is calls, but I don't have the setup or the $$ for them so I have to pick something else. If I wanted to hatch I most likely would have to go with black swedish x pekin, but I wanna know what all is out there. So.... Breed reccomendations? I am looking for something friendly, easy to find, colorful, and a decent layer.
  • What to feed? Is an all-flock feed good enough? Do they need supplements? Why can't they eat chicken food?
  • Anything way different from chickens in the hatching department? Do they all take 28 days to hatch, except Muscovy? Temp is the same? Does the fact the shells are different significantly impact humidity? What is a good starting percentage? Do ducks have more problems with hatching than chickens? Anything else I should know but haven't thought to ask yet? (I am sure I'll think of more, lol)
Thanks....
-Banti

I've had ducks before when I had a pond in Arkansas. I had Pekin and Rouen. If I DO decide to get ducks again, I'm going to go with the Rouen. I found them a little more personable and certainly more colorful. I didn't know much about incubating the eggs but misted them and turned them 2x a day and I had a good hatch percentage, probably around 80% or better. Started with a pair of Pekin and a pair of Rouen and ended up with about 22 ducks. (Way too many!) I don't remember what I fed them but mostly let them forage. They were too skidish and I eventually gave up trying to get them into a roost at night. They slept outside. I lost 4 to predators over a year's time.

If a novice like me could hatch them, I don't foresee you having ANY problems.

Did you candle in the dark? Wider end? What color are the egg shells?
in the dark yes. Light on pointed end wide end up as I always have in the past

4 eggs pale green, 12 eggs pinkish tan

The 12 Barnevelder eggs I put in incubator Mon I'll never be able to candle, they are medium brown can't see any light through them at all as if they were painted solid

9 have hatched so far
jumpy.gif

3 pips and nothing from 2 eggs. Have quickly moved 7 dry ones to the brooder, left a couple of damp ones in there.
woot.gif

how do you keep yourself from opening the bator up the take the one lil chick out? It's heartbreaking listening to it cry. I know don't it will shrinkwrap the others up. but it's in there yelling mommy come back mommy mommy LOL
I just don't.

Lost the rest of the multi-quote.
th.gif

in the dark yes. Light on pointed end wide end up as I always have in the past

4 eggs pale green, 12 eggs pinkish tan

The 12 Barnevelder eggs I put in incubator Mon I'll never be able to candle, they are medium brown can't see any light through them at all as if they were painted solid

Candle from the fat end. Air cell is in the fat end.

Candle from the fat end. Air cell is in the fat end.
interesting. I know air cell is in fat end but everyone I know holds egg fat end up and applies light upward from the pointed end. Never seen or heard of doing it any other way.

I used the candle the button quail eggs alot years ago.

I'll try again when the eggs hit day 7 and try your way instead

Back
Top Bottom