"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

I have two tiny hens that have babies today! One has 4 with one more pipped and one has two with one more pipped. If/when those last two hatch, it will be a 100% hatch for both hens. The one with 3 is super tiny and a first time mama so I only gave her a few. She is a super cute tiny frizzle. :love

Do any of you online right now know about turkeys. I had a wild turkey hen wander into my yard and she walked around and around in wide circles. At first I just though "OOOh! fetch cellphone and photograph!" but as I watched I realized something was wrong. She kept walking into things. So I decide to catch her and one rodeo and several flying feathers later I get her. Man she was stronger than my geese., So I have her in the dog kennel tonight. Her eyes seem healthy and fine but she can't see. Her feathers are surpurb in color and shine. I thought that they came loose in my hand easy but that could have just been the strength of the bird.

So anyone know what may make a healthy looking turkey blind?

Here ya go, Cynthia...the Deelyflopper thread. I wasn't sure how to pronounce it when I had a Bielefelder egg (didn't make it to hatch, sadly) so I was calling it the Deelyflopper egg. Seems folks over on that thread kinda liked it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/727364/a-bielefelder-thread/3850#post_16872779

It is from Germany so it would be pronounced: Beel-fell-der Not sure which sylable gets the most stress though. Putting it on the Beel feels right to me. Once I was fluent in German but I am terribly rusty now.

It is from Germany so it would be pronounced: Beel-fell-der Not sure which sylable gets the most stress though. Putting it on the Beel feels right to me. Once I was fluent in German but I am terribly rusty now.
Deelyflopper is easier. I grew up with that word - Ma never could think of what she was talking about!
lau.gif

Right right.

Washed in a hot vinegar bath no less.

Wish I could try it on some BCM or Olive Eggers

Can you tell if the shell is softer due to the vinegar. We use a mild solution of it here to clean stains off concrete. Use it too strong and it will hurt the surface. Just curious as to the shells strength after the bath.

20 of my 24 eggs are fertile and still doing well at 14 days. The PR fridgerbator maintains temp and humidity very well. The air cells are right on target. I'll scrub the hatching MacGyverbator soon and get it running for Thursday lockdown.

Sending :hugs to all y'all. Good night.

Can you tell if the shell is softer due to the vinegar. We use a mild solution of it here to clean stains off concrete. Use it too strong and it will hurt the surface. Just curious as to the shells strength after the bath.

Yeh it doesn't seem to hurt them

And quail egg shells are thinner than chickens although the membranes seem to be tougher

Ok... so i didn't hatch these cuties. But, they are the newest little peeps. :love They are Khaki Campbell ducklings, and I am so excited they are here. They are the first Khaki Campbells we have ever had. :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom