Sprouted grains question

pnp4kidz

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 5, 2009
San Francisco East Bay CA
I am probably just really slow here, but I see a lot of posts on people feeding sprouted grains to their flock. Mine can't free range due to dogs and also breeding but have big pens with runs and a coop each bunch. What can I sprout? And how do you do this??
Thanks!!

I know of folks who put wheat grass or bean seeds into pans with water, give them light and when the sprouts are out and about they feed them to the chooks.

Quote:
------------
Hi,
There is a whole thread of more than 25 pages on sprouting seeds for ones chickens here. I can't remember the name. it's either here or under managing your flock. Basically, oats are the best seed to sprout for your chickens. It' easy. You want non-GMO (genetically modified) oats like Plotspike Forage Oats theys ell at Tractor Supply Company. Those are forage oats like they spread in a field for an eating crop. Not seed oats like one feeds horses. Seed oats can be treated with a germicicde to prevent spoling. This causes them to not germinate. Never feed slimy or stinky sprouted seeds to your birds.Those slimy or stinky sprouts are bad and will make the birds sick.
When to feed. Ok, it's not about the length of the sprout. It's about the length of time the sprouts have been growing. From 1 thru 3 days old, the Sprouts are considered "grain feed". They still retain the proteins of the grain and are fed as part of the grain portion of the meal. On the 4th day, the proteins in the seed meet an enzyme which turns them to starches. From the 4th day on, the spouts are considered "green feed". This feed is used as a supplement to the regular chicken ration. At a portion size of one cubic inch per bird per day. Green feed is used to bring hens into lay and condition the cocks for mating season. The oats bring vigor to the cocks reproductive system resulting in more vigorus sperm to create more robust chicks. Sprouted oats have been studied against all other sprouted seeds and been found to bring the best results.
Ok, how to sprout oats. You can look online for pans for a multi-rack seed sprouter for many chickens. I have nine chickens and do just fine with glass jars. It's easy. First save your glass jars daily. Spaghetti jars work great so we will use them as an example. Go to the fabric store or feed store and buy a yard of regular plain old burlap. Then go to Walmart and buy a bag of bigger rubber bands. That's all there is to it.
Wash and rinse the jars well. No need to dry them. Cut circles out of the burlap which allow for a 1 inch overhang all around the top of the Spaghetti jar. Pour 1/2 cup of Forage Oats into each jar. That makes a one inch deep layer. Lay the circle of burlap over the mouth of the jar and afix it with a rubber band. That's all there is to it.
I line mine up on the kitchen counter Each morning and night, I run water thru the burlap and fill the jar. Swish it around a bit and pour the water out thru the burlap. Do that twice to each jar, morning and night. Use water that is the temperature for a baby bottle. Perfect to just test it on your wrist. It's easy and fast. If left for 4 days, the sprouts will completely fill the spaghetti jar. It's amazing how they expand.
The day you want to feed them, rinse them in a colander once more for good measure. This also warms them just a bit which the birds really like. Feed in bowl or on the ground. The chickens will go nuts for them. The cocks get SO excited with goodies to show their girls. If you get too enthsiastic and overfeed the sprouts the chickens get soft stools for a day. Just back off on the next feeding, smile, and it will correct itself.
==========
Now if you want to feed oats but don't want to wait for the four days, you can feed them steamed oats. This is a one night affair. In the evening, put the amount of oats you want to feed in a pot and cover with room temp water. Let it sit overnight. The next morning, take the pot with oats and the same water and simmer on the stove for one hour. No need to rinse the oats before you simmer them. The one hour of simmering will kill any germs in the water. The oats will double in size just like rice to take that into account when you measure the oats the night before. Feed as the sprouted oats at one cubic inch per bird per day. An extensive bibliography of all the scientific and literary references for this information are quoted multiple times in that BYC thread I mentioned before.
Enjoy sprouting for your birds!
Best Regards,
Karen
Waterford French Marans in western PA, USA.

Here's a couple of site's I've found on sprouting seed,

http://www.primalseeds.org/sprouting.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprouting

http://www.ehow.com/how_2310006_sprout-seeds-towel.html

Here is a recipe for Soaking and Fermenting Oats that I found on the internet and I have been using now for about a month now.
You can soak them for 2 days and feed them or you can let them ferment 2-3 weeks or longer and feed them.

Get a thirty two gallon PLASTIC heavy duty garbage container with a lid.
Into this container add the following ingredients:
1 gallon of apple cider vinegar (not apple flavored vinegar)
1 lb of dark brown sugar
1/2 cup of RED CELL vitamins

1 12oz container of the cheap brand of ground cinnamon
1 packet of vitamin / electrolyte powder
4 qts of vegetable juice concentrate
fill the container half full of water and stir all the ingredients thoroughly.
add 100 lbs of whole re-cleaned oats
fill the container with water and cover.
after 24 hours add more water and do so everyday until the oats no longer soak it up.

I usually wait 5 to 7 days before I feed them depending on the outside temperature. I feed a mix that has 25% oats in it. It seems to me from my experience with my fowl that the longer they soak the better the fowl love them.

Chris

pnp4kidz...I am probably just really slow here, but I see a lot of posts on people feeding sprouted grains to their flock. Mine can't free range due to dogs and also breeding but have big pens with runs and a coop each bunch. What can I sprout? And how do you do this??
Thanks!!
------------
Hi,
There is a whole thread of more than 25 pages on sprouting seeds for ones chickens here. I can't remember the name. it's either here or under managing your flock. ............................An extensive bibliography of all the scientific and literary references for this information are quoted multiple times in that BYC thread I mentioned before.
Enjoy sprouting for your birds!
Best Regards,
Karen
Waterford French Marans in western PA, USA.
----------------------------------------------
Here is the title of the 31 page thread where the biblography and references are.:
Index » Feeding & Watering Your Flock » anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?
Try starting around Page 20.
smile.png

Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom