Sprouting? Help...

Look at what I just bought to sprout, I’ve been doing it in a jar now I’m getting seriousView attachment 1480002 View attachment 1480003
where is that from... looks expensive. I bought a pack of 4 pans for a $1 to just sprout a cup or two at a time... it’s to supplement 5 chickens... but really if they’re supposed to eat 1/2 cups a day then maybe it’s still too much. They just have zero grass... they are it all in about 2 weeks in their enclosure 19ft by 9ft. I just feel better knowing they are eating greens without me having to buy them.

I agree lazy gardener but boy does it make nice looking and tasting eggs in the winter and I get a lot more eggs in the winter feeding fodder. I went to feeding the fodder with the lentils and mung beans to up the protein with the wheat and the boss seemed to work pretty well lots of quality eggs and healthy chickies along with my feed bill going down a little as long as I don’t go overboard on the lentils and mung beans really need to buy all in bulk or they are way to expensive
Where are you buying your bulk grains? Do the sprouts have to be under a light or will daylight be sufficient?

suggest that as the temperature increases only very vigorous sprouts be used. something like rye or mung beans germinate overnight. fenugreek is another one but expensive. I do stop sprouting when the weather warms up precisely due to mold.
My hubby does ryegrass off and on in the hottest months because of mold but he has quit all together right now...He said he will start again in the fall! He usually has a beautiful variety of fodder during the winter months!

I buy a feed that advertises as being good for sprouting (it’s called scratch and Peck) .. I’m wanting to give it a try, but I’m so ignorant... I have no idea how to actually rinse and water and all that. I’m hoping to find some tutorials on YouTube

I buy a feed that advertises as being good for sprouting (it’s called scratch and Peck) .. I’m wanting to give it a try, but I’m so ignorant... I have no idea how to actually rinse and water and all that. I’m hoping to find some tutorials on YouTube
You will find a bunch... I tried in a cup and then a pan that i put holes in. You’re supposed to soak first for 2-12 hours depending on what you want or try different times to see what works best for what you are sprouting and then rinsing 3-4 times a day an make sure the water drains well. I tried my counter top and I the laundry room with the same results. I’m no expert but it worked for me I just can’t prevent mold beyond 4 or so days... I think everybody is right and the heat contributes to my problem.

This? I like that it’s organic! I’ll look for it local to see if it’s priced lower than online.

Attachments

• 952BA1CE-9D2F-409F-8A48-2B0968592C49.png
    952BA1CE-9D2F-409F-8A48-2B0968592C49.png
    621.7 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom