SQ silkie bantam question!!!!....

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
I have been wanting to add some silkies to my flock, and I found a breeder that has a pair of SQ silkie bantams. But the eggs are $2 a peice. I dont mind, but is show quality birds kinda like having registered goats, and such? My mom is BIG on having registered goats, but she doesnt want SQ birds? Are SQ more worth the time/money? I need help! She doesnt want me "waisting" MY money. What do I do?!

Quote:
sq is worth it it take as much to feed crapy chickens as dose feed show chicken
it like buying diffrence between goat from aution or a show goat breeder

The breeder has 1 pair?

Figure the hen lays 1 egg every other day. That's 12 days just to get 6 eggs, plus 2-3 days for shipping. By then the hatchability rate goes down. Maybe try purchasing a pair from a breeder, or some started chicks.

If you are not planning on showing them I don't think you would have to buy SQ birds but if you are planning to show at all I would get the best I possibly could to start with because there is usually somebody there at the show with some pretty nice ones.

well, she has one pair right now, and some chicks. I kinda wanted to try and show them maybe just a little bit, but not like driving to another state, JUST for a show. and I really wanted to start with eggs. And there is NOBODY in my area with SQ silkie bantams, not even PQ silkie bantams. So either I get eggs or nothing at all. I figured that I would spen a good amount of $$ for SQ but then could hatch and sell offspring to get more $$. Is the SQ worth it?

Last edited:
Quote:
nice thing about buying eggs u but them from any one any where and get them shiped i go silkie thread ask if any one has silkie eggs for sale

Quote:
nice thing about buying eggs u but them from any one any where and get them shiped i go silkie thread ask if any one has silkie eggs for sale

I already found a breeder though? Or are.you saying I should find cheaper ones?

Last edited:
Quote:

use that breeder but just rember the next time u deside get eggs u can have hatching eggs shipped to ur house if u want

Quote:

use that breeder but just rember the next time u deside get eggs u can have hatching eggs shipped to ur house if u want

These eggs will be shipped to my house.

First of all, do some homework. Does this breeder actually show her birds? Has she won anything? Was it at a County Fair, or was it an APA sanctioned show? Does she have any references of past sales that like her birds?

Two dollars per egg is nothing when it comes to quality birds, but like the other poster said, if she only has one pair, it will take the hen a while to lay a dozen eggs, or even 6 eggs, and by that time the fertility (if they are fertile in the first place!), will diminish. Look around here on BYC, there are quite a few good breeders from TN! If you are looking to sell future eggs and/or chicks in the future, it is important to start with the best quality of birds or eggs that you can afford. Like chickendales said, it takes as much money to raise a good chicken as it does a mediocre one.

Back
Top Bottom