Squash Ideas?

turney31

Songster
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
palestine texas
I have fresh yellow and zucchini squash coming out of my ears. I will share with my DD and neighbors. Was just wondering how you all cook it? Thanks!

Micah

Quote:
Zucchini bread!!
tongue.png

Squash cut up, sauteed in olive oil and cheese melted on top
big_smile.png

YUM!

Put some oil and/or butter in a big skillet, add onion, cook until nearly soft, add sliced squash, cook until done as you like. Salt and pepper to taste.

That is good just as is and it freezes very well.

With that:

Take cooked squash and let cool/thaw. For every two cups cooked squash/onion mixture add an egg, a couple big dollops of sour cream, a handfull of grated cheese and enough bread crumbs to bind it. Mix it all up well and turn out into a casserole and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes.

I like extra sharp cheddar and panko bread crumbs but whatever you have will work.

This "recipe" is very forgiving; add more cheese and sour cream as your waistline allows. A topping of bread crumbs or crushed crackers with cheese and butter is very good.

Most of the old ladies around here make squash casserole with cream o' something soup for church suppers and funerals. This is better.

Roast thin slices (cut lengthwise) that have been soaked in a garlic/herb infused olive oil - roast them on parchment paper on a sheet pan. Also roast some beets the same way, slice them and toss in EVO and lemon juice and herbs and serve both at room temperature with an assortment of olives and some fancy salami - some crusty Italian bread or fociaccia wedges complete the picture.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=163061

The ONLY way to cook fresh yellow, crooked neck squash is to cut them in half length wise, cover with chopped onion, butter and seasonings of your choice (I like salt, pepper, and a little garlic) wrap in aluminum foil and bake in the oven or on the grill. You can cook them longer for soft texture or shorter for more firmness as you like. Try it, you'll love it!!!!!

This is good with a mix of small yellow squash and zucchini.
Slice in quarters or length wise and then into strips. I usually aim for pieces about the size of a piece of penne pasta.

Saute quickly in olive oil, no more than a minute or two, so they are still slightly crisp. Take them off the heat and add a pat of butter and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Toss together until the butter melts and makes a nice lemon butter sauce. Add a little chiffonade of fresh basil if you have it. Salt and pepper to taste.

For a nice vegetarian main course, toss the squash cooked as above with some penne and grated parm.

Back
Top Bottom