Squatting when I pet her, is this normal hen behavior?

4chickns

Songster
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
New Jersey
I have a 5 month white silkie that squats when I pet him/her, but continues walking and doesn't put his wings out like I've heard they do when they "really" squat. I've posted pictures of him and was told he is definitely a she. So is this "sort of squat" a definite sign that he's a she, and just normal hen behavior? Or can roos do this too?
Thank you

Last edited:
I am very new to chickens. Our chickens have just started laying about a month ago and only the hens seem to squat. The roosters are just to jumpy to be petted.

It means she views you as the dominant creature in the yard. Hens squat to show submission to their roosters.

Do you have any pics of your silkie? We could tell you if it's a pullet or cockerel. Pullets usually do that when they are nearing the time when they will start laying or when they will allow the roo to mount them.

She's only 5 months, so I can't imagine, being a silkie, that she's ready to lay yet. (I'm gathering that it's a she now because my roosters are starting to grab her on the back of the neck the past week or two, which is a mating thing, right?) She's been squatting when we pet her for quite a while, it's not a new thing. Is it generally hen-like behavior? Are these sure signs that she's a she? Her crown looks like a cross between our hen and roosters, all 5 months. She has a very small walnut looking thing, not as big as the roosters, and also a few points like the hen. The behavior is just a little confusing. Oh, and she sounds like a duck.
big_smile.png

My younger chickens (laying now) squat down and stick out their elbows a little bit when I pet them. I think they are scared, it's kind of funny. It's an improvement from when they would squack a run away when i'd put my hand out toward them. It also helps when I need to pick them up, it's easier than chasing them around the coop. That's interesting about the dominance thing. It's kind of like they freeze or brace themselves. Once I keep petting them they stop squatting a walk away slowly.
big_smile.png

I have heard that it can be a submissive thing, but when she squats she doesn't stick her wings out at all. I am noticing that my roos actually do it a little when I pet them too. Are they just shying away from me?
Does anyone know why she would make duck noises when the roos crow?
Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom