Squish bump between legs

Kayley3069

Chirping
Apr 28, 2017
My Golden Comet was attacked this morning, only damage was pulled feathers and this weird bulge. The bulge wasn’t there yesterday. It’s hot to the touch. Acting like her usual self.

Attachments

• 397ECC1F-9C02-48A0-BECB-A53F049B6D62.jpeg
    397ECC1F-9C02-48A0-BECB-A53F049B6D62.jpeg
    910.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 30483548-DCC3-43EC-A819-3FAE614C71C5.jpeg
    30483548-DCC3-43EC-A819-3FAE614C71C5.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 10
What animal attacked her? If it was a dog or cat or raccoon or something with teeth, that apparent puncture wound I think I see probably introduced a good deal of bacteria into her tissues, and now she has a raging infection.

I strongly suggest you trot down to the feed store and get some injectible penicillin and begin treating her. Also, you probably should soak her in very warm Epsom salt plus Betadine to try to counter any bacteria close to the surface.

It looks like she may have a hernia in her lower abdominal wall. Could the bulge have been hidden by feathers yesterday? Does it feel soft, spongy, or firm? This is a common place for a bulge in the lower belly. There can be various reasons for this, such as hernia, internal laying, fluid, and cancer.

What animal attacked her? If it was a dog or cat or raccoon or something with teeth, that apparent puncture wound I think I see probably introduced a good deal of bacteria into her tissues, and now she has a raging infection.

I strongly suggest you trot down to the feed store and get some injectible penicillin and begin treating her. Also, you probably should soak her in very warm Epsom salt plus Betadine to try to counter any bacteria close to the surface.

I have no idea and she has no puncture wound, it happened this morning. I was thinking maybe a hernia from the pulling.....

It looks like she may have a hernia in her lower abdominal wall. Could the bulge have been hidden by feathers yesterday? Does it feel soft, spongy, or firm? This is a common place for a bulge in the lower belly. There can be various reasons for this, such as hernia, internal laying, fluid, and cancer.
It is squishy but won’t push back in. When you flip her over it will fall back into place. Also, a daily layer and no issues ever laying. I usually handle her daily she is one of my first chickens and it wasn’t there yesterday. Just found it strange that it was there after this attack.

It sounds more like a hernia if it goes back in when she is turned over. A hernia is a tear in the abdominal wall. I would just watch it. There is not much you can do about it. I have had a few hens with very large lower bellies who lived for several years.

It sounds more like a hernia if it goes back in when she is turned over. A hernia is a tear in the abdominal wall. I would just watch it. There is not much you can do about it. I have had a few hens with very large lower bellies who lived for several years.
I was thinking the same thing, but was a little lost, because never seen anything like it.

Back
Top Bottom