Squishy sour crop....ACV...yes or no?

Now with Nystatin (or any treatment for that matter), do you need to empty the crop manually (I have read about doing this with a catheter tube and syringe) or will it work either way? I just want to do right by her.

Here she is, doing her shaky chest thing, after drinking some of the ACV water solution. I massaged her a bit this morning too, and she seemed burpy/gassy, but I didn't continue because I don't want her to choke or anything..

And her very liquidy poo :-/ is this normal for being just on acv/water?

Sometimes sour crop is the result of intestinal problems like enteritis and not just blockage in the crop. Sorry casportpony tried to derail the thread by making it a contest, but here's what I've done and it worked. It may seem very involved but it's easy once you've done it. If there is fluid retained in your bird's crop, bacteria is multiplying. If you can get to a pet store which carries fish and aquarium supplies, get some soft rubber hose often used on pumps for aquariums and some 200mg Fish Fungus caps (Ketoconazole). Nystatin is a good product but time is of the essence here.

You will attach the rubber hose to the end of at least a 10cc syringe. Mix 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt in a half cup of tepid water and mix it around until it dissolves. Draw up tepid water into the tube and syringe. Get the bird comfortable on your lap and controlled to keep the wings from flapping. Gently insert the end of the rubber tube down the throat about 1 inch. Inject about 10cc of water into the crop. Gently remove the rubber tube from the mouth and let the bird set, breathe for a couple minutes, and gently massage the crop.

Then you are going to turn the bird upside down with it's beak pointed toward the ground while supporting its body to empty the crop. I hold the legs with my two middle fingers between the legs so I don't harm the joints, and the back of the bird resting against my stomach. I use my other hand to gently knead the crop forward towards the head, and the crop fluid will empty out of the bird's mouth onto the ground. Give the bird a break for a few minutes and let it breathe.

Take one of the Ketoconazole caps and give it to the bird. If the bird is drinking on it's own you won't have to give any by syringe. This is the same process used for crop bound birds except you are using Ketoconazole instead of crop bound capsules (docusate sodium { available at drug stores} ) because the crop is rancid. I'd give one capsule morning and night and keep an eye on the droppings. Let us know how your bird is.

Last edited:
I forgot. While the bird is recovering, feed the bird crumbles and use some vitamins-electrolytes in the water. A little yogurt very day would be good too until the bird gets back on track.

Last edited:
I'd love to see some data on it as an anti-fungal, really.
big_smile.png
Because what I know is this:

Metronidazole is the common antibacterial treatment for Canker which causes the foul smell from the mouth as well. You're right about it not being a good fungal treatment. Is the poster asking for help dealing with bacteria or fungi? We don't know for sure. Either way, Spartrix tabs worked for me in the past and have dealt with it a couple times. Used Ketaconazole once too. Since the bird has diarrhea, it might help. Unless we are dealing specifically with Candida Albicans, you're merely guessing just like me. It is safe to say Ketaconazole works on sour crop and might be more easily obtained than Medistatin. By the time it is ordered and arrives, the bird could die. Definately worth keeping in the med cabinet though. I keep Cocci-Cide on hand which treats Thrush, Coccidia, and Aspergillosis.

Metronidazole is the common antibacterial treatment for Canker which causes the foul smell from the mouth as well. You're right about it not being a good fungal treatment. Is the poster asking for help dealing with bacteria or fungi? We don't know for sure. Either way, Spartrix tabs worked for me in the past and have dealt with it a couple times. Used Ketaconazole once too. Since the bird has diarrhea, it might help. Unless we are dealing specifically with Candida Albicans, you're merely guessing just like me. It is safe to say Ketaconazole works on sour crop and might be more easily obtained than Medistatin. By the time it is ordered and arrives, the bird could die. Definately worth keeping in the med cabinet though. I keep Cocci-Cide on hand which treats Thrush, Coccidia, and Aspergillosis.
And they might be dealing with a blockage further down, which is the only time I have encountered sour crop.

I'm thinking about the possibility of enteritis too. I wonder if an injection in the breast muscle of LA-200 (1cc) or Gentamicin (.5 cc) could be used with the Ketoconazole or Nystatin in the crop. That may be too much.

Pratice what you preach, if you think metronidazole will work, post the dose. I will post the dose of Nystatin and Diclonfonec once I take pictures of it, but I've got to do chores right now.

I missed this post. Preach? Just recommending what has worked for me in the past. The Spartrix tabs I mentioned are 10 mg Carnidazole not Metronidazole.

Back
Top Bottom