SSS...and then bury it deeper? Did anyone see this??

Quote:
call me coward then, in the last 15+ years, SSS should be SSSR. shoot/shovel/shutup/repeat. I take offense at lack of responsibility of dog owners who buy half a dozen dogs "For the Kids" and within 6 months the only care is a bowl of dogfood put out daily with the dogs freely roaming the countryside day and night.

I also find it offensive that my neighbors would think so little of me and my family as to not even attempt to resolve a problem between us with civility or communication. I would not treat my neighbors in such a way. If I have a problem with a neighbor, the first thing I do is talk to them about it. If my neighbors don't co-operate, I go from there. But why make an enemy when you could have a friend?

It seems to me, that there is an undercurrent in SSS of revenge. "Your dog killed my chickens, so I'll kill your dog".

Edited for inappropriate comment. Stay on topic, please.

Quote:
call me coward then, in the last 15+ years, SSS should be SSSR. shoot/shovel/shutup/repeat. I take offense at lack of responsibility of dog owners who buy half a dozen dogs "For the Kids" and within 6 months the only care is a bowl of dogfood put out daily with the dogs freely roaming the countryside day and night.

"Your dog killed my chickens, so I'll kill your dog".

No I would kill the dog ,so it wouldn't come back to kill more...................

All you have to do is read the predator section, thousand of animales are killed by dog running loose.

I say jail time for the dog owners, and death for the dogs. DEAD dogs can't hurt children or animals. Control your dog or lose it...

Quote:
I also find it offensive that my neighbors would think so little of me and my family as to not even attempt to resolve a problem between us with civility or communication. I would not treat my neighbors in such a way. If I have a problem with a neighbor, the first thing I do is talk to them about it. If my neighbors don't co-operate, I go from there. But why make an enemy when you could have a friend?

It seems to me, that there is an undercurrent in SSS of revenge. "Your dog killed my chickens, so I'll kill your dog".

Edited material deleted....

I agree with most everything you say Boyd. But... (off topic material removed by staff)

But if this whole situation would have been me, I might have slung my dead birds under their windshield wiper, then let them know next time the dog is mine. I don't even like dogs. love my chickens though

Last edited:
The point of my statement is that SSS does not allow for the possibilities of errors, one time offenses and that it may be worth taking a deep breath and allowing that the dog may be out running around due to unusual circumstances. I can't believe how many advocate not trying to resolve things with your neighbors ammicably. I really think that trying to get along in your community is important, and that includes trying to solve problems between you and your neighbors without escalating it. I have never said for anyone not to defend thier livestock, but I have said that it would be wise to attempt to resolve situations like this peacefuly first.

Exactly.​

Quote:
Exactly.

A good friend of mine , has a few pets, moutain lions.guess what sure he wouldn't get a 2nd change if one got out, and kill the neighbors dogs. If you have animals that can do damage, keep them up......

Yes dogs kill more people than , all the pet wild cats, bears, and etc. Why because no one would let these free roam....

Untill people start controling their dogs, no child or other pets can be safe. If people can control these wild animals , sure people could control a DOG..trouble they don't get anything but a slap on the hand for dogs killing...one of those cheap birds..

You know, I understand every point of veiw here; I really do. There is no easy way to deal with a predator or prey that has at least some emotional value to someone you do or do not respect. The problem with the SSS method is that it does not allow for variables; you cannot deviate from the sequence---ever. And you will have to continue to SSS because the root cause is not remedied. The root cause? Perpetual lack of care and ignorance on the part of someone involved.

I refuse to let someone else's bad behavior cause me to change how I treat others. Neighbors may come and go but I have to live with myself forever. Sometimes doing the right thing is not comfortable. For some of us, SSS is as simple a choice as 'do I want chocolate or vanilla?' but for me its more like 'do I want to cut off my arm or my leg?'.

When I get my life perfect, I'll start telling all of you what you should do or how you should feel. In the meantime, I'll just try to be a good neighbor by example....

Quote:
Yes.

I do not want to be a bad neighbor. I try to fix the things I fail at or the things I do that bother someone else. I see no point in not making an effort to resolve an issue that one has with a neighbor. It makes no sense to me to cut off communication and go straight to punishment. And that Belate sounds like an ass. Would it have killed him to talk to his neighbors? Before shooting the dog wearing a collar and monitor?

None of us lives in isolation. No one is completely independent of other people. Social skills are a good thing to have, don't you think?

Personally, I believe that the owner had the right to shoot the dog. That being said, I would talk to the neighbor.

One of my young pullets was killed by a neighbors dog that slipped it's colar and my husband spoke to them. Because we refused money he offered, the next day the neighbor came over with a gorgeous replacement hen that he insisted we take and she is now one of my favorite chickens. If I would have shot the dog it might have caused a rift. I try to avoid problems with the neighbors if I can.

Another neighbor was warned after his dog was seen with one of my chickens in it's mouth. The guy across the street told the dog's owner that if he sees the dog step foot on my property he will shoot it and leave it on the dog owner's porch. Didnt change anything, the guy still lets his dog run loose.
hu.gif
I have fully fenced my property now so I dont have to worry about it but I have seen the guy across the street out several times with his gun: sooner or later the dog is going to pay the ultimate price for having that kind of an owner.

Please stay on topic here. Religious topics belong in the family section, not P&P.
hmm.png
We're talking about killing a predator here. Good grief.

Next, shooting hawks it usually against the law. Remember, some have tracking chips in them and they'll find where you buried it. A dog running amuk is not the same as a bird of prey hunting for its food, IMO. Dogs belong in fences on their own property. Revenge has nothing to do with it. Sure you can talk to a neighbor if the dog has left your place after harassing or killing your birds, but if its in the act of killing when you find it, it's perfectly acceptable to stop the killing however you see fit, and preferably in a way that the dog cannot turn on you. Why would I care that it's the first time it got out? How would I know that? 99% of the cases do not involve a "first-time-getter-outer". Again, you're making a difference in a dog and a chicken. My birds are pets just as much as any dog I've ever owned, more so than some. Your pet trumps my pet? Don't think so. Not if mine was where it should be and yours wasn't.

Again, speaking in generalities here, not necessarily about this case.

Back
Top Bottom