SSS...and then bury it deeper? Did anyone see this??

Not all stray or wandering dogs are stock molesters. In my opinion it's one thing to shoot a dog that's attacking your animals or birds but to shoot a dog that's on your property but ignoring the stock is a little unkind. Like the labrador mentioned earlier. It had been stolen and was trying to get home. Yes, the poor thing got run over, but it would have been even more tragic that some gun happy person decided to take a pot shot at it for crossing their land in it's efforts to get home. I've seen it happen and it still makes me puke to this day.

This lovely border collie (female dog) got left behind when my rancher friend had gone about a mile around the the road to check on some young stock he'd had on leased land, and hadn't noticed she'd jumped off the pickup. The dog was taking the short cut home across another (expletive removed by Staff) property. The a.h owner of the land the dog was on called her up to him and then grabbed her collar and walloped her on the head with a sledgehammer!!!!! He then told the owner of the dog, who had come back looking for her, that the dog was chasing a calf and he tried to stop it with his truck, then threw the sledge hammer at her when she ducked out of the way. Utter crap!!! My rancher friend could do nothing about it as the dog was on someone else property.

Ok, so there were a lot of random and unfortunate events the lead to this poor dog's demise. However, my point is that this dog was not 'out playing' and was not looking to entertain herself and certainly didn't deserve to die. So, after witnessing that, every stray dog I see that isn't on the rampage gets the benefit of the doubt with me. At least the first time I see it. If there is more than one dog then I get very wary cos the pack mentality can take over.

*Expletives removed by Staff. Please don't use symbols to bypass the censor. Thanks

Last edited:
Yet another crisis of someone who should have invested in a LGD for their chicken flock so that these "stray" and neighborhood dogs wouldn't attempt coming on the property. I wouldn't have to worry about a thing if the neighbor's dog wandered onto my land....he would soon be wandering very quickly right back off my land!
lol.png

High-tailin' it off, as a matter of fact!
lol.png

Hardly anyone would shoot a dog who was just passing through, not taking any notice of their chickens or humans. Most wouldn't just shoot a dog on sight who was doing no harm. That isn't what we're talking about. Wanted to clarify that I never said I would shoot a dog who just walked across my property, though it would be tough to do without said dog digging under or jumping over my livestock fencing.
There is a Boston bull terrier who lives across from my driveway, case of an elderly woman getting a dog who has no clue how to train it (she spanks it when it doesn't understand her commands and the poor thing is scared of her). I see it at my driveway gate, definitely off its own property, longingly gazing down the drive at us because it wants attention that isn't negative. DH takes her back home every time. I wish she'd let someone else have the poor dog. I don't know if it would run my chickens or not but I try not to let it get the chance. Can't see myself shooting her if she does manage to wiggle through the gate and bounce down the driveway. BUT, I know I can control her, she knows me. If she killed a bird, me and the neighbor would have quite a conversation--the county does have an ordinance that all dogs off their property must be under the control of the owner and she is violating that ordinance. If a strange dog shot down the drive toward me or my coops, I'd get my weapon and be ready, just in case.

So, I really believe 99% of cases of dogs shot have to do with actual harassing or killing of livestock or pets, not just them being there.

As someone said, as did I previously, we don't have all the facts to comment on the case in the news.

Most wouldn't just shoot a dog on sight who was doing no harm.

I'm with ya 100% on that one. During deer season around here there are hounds running all over the place and as long as they keep moving they are ok. Last year one came up on the back porch and sat down with us one afternoon, as soon as I called the number on the coller the guy was there in about 10 minutes falling all over himself saying sorry and thanking us. Each situation is different.

Steve​

Quote:
PC.. i would want to know if my dog was shot..
I would NEED to know..
The not knowing what happend to my missing dog would KILL me for years... i would search and search for my dog..
The right thing to do is just tell the owners... its so so so cruel to not let them know what happend to their dog. Just my opinion..
You know i still love you though..
love.gif

This is true...Someone stole one of my dogs out of my yard right in front of my mother 10 years ago. I have not ceased looking for him, although I think he is most likely dead now. Still, everywhere I go when I see a dog that looks like him I stop or turn my car around to double check. I still check all the pound websites and craigslist ads. He was an incredible dog. For the first 6 months after he was taken I had nightmares about what had happened to him. Now I sometimes dream that he comes home.

Quote:
...............................it has thrown out years of training and needs to be eliminated for going rogue. Serious.

I'm a SIS kinda guy myself, but not everyone has access to an incinerator like I do.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom