Stalagmite Poop in the Coop - Chickens in Winter

frostbite

Songster
8 Years
Sep 27, 2011
Fairbanks, Alaska
I don't remember what thread it was where someone wanted to see a picture of the chicken guano stalagmites that develop in my coop in the wintertime. They are essentially icebergs of poop. I break them loose as large chunks of frozen, odor free, fertilizer, and dump them in my compost bin with my mittened hands, and then throw in some fresh shavings. Here's the pictures I promised to come up with.

This is what my coop looks like at zero degrees when the chickens are partying...

This is a picture of "Chickbert" inspecting the stalagmite created by my Speckled Sussex hen, "Inspector"

The Stalgmite comes up quite high on her chest, as you can see!

This is after I cleaned picked up the chunk and pitched it, and gave them some fresh shavings. This is Albert the Australorp and Wyatt the Wyandotte

Happy New Year everyone!

Lol!
The chickens must have complained "aw cluck! our tower of poop, it was weeks of work and precision poopin'!"

Someone wanted to see a picture of the chicken guano stalagmites that develop in my coop in the wintertime. Here's the pictures I promised to come up with.

"

POOP BOARDS are the "BEST" addition yet. Handles well over ½ of the poop in my set up keeps ammonia smell in check 3½" below roost (roost are 2x4 wide side up) excellent for catching eggs laid through the night (roost are in cups for easier removal and cleaning). I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Winter months even easier flex over compost bin DONE!

Easy peasy!.

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are milk crates 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.

I currently have 17 chickens in my set up (4x8 foot print coop) with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom