Standard bred Sumatras

LL

Black hen 2 One of my hens that I feel has a shorter, stouter beak (also one of the hens with an attitude towards new birds in her area)

Black hen 3 - I'll have to get a side shot of her beak. She's got one of the shortest, stoutest beaks out of my hens.

Dun cock 1 looks to have a decent beak, what does everyone else think?

Will be back with more pictures after I catch some more birds up.

Ok.....I'm not that good at this so please correct me if I have it wrong.

raph......looks like a nice clean beak....shorter than my birds but maybe a hair
long and could be a touch deeper?

ramirez.......pullets 1 in black and dun are a touch long? black cock is nice, and
dun cock maybe a hair long? but good curve.

Okay I hope this is alright with everyone, let me know if not so I can delete it. I did this really quick, and probably could do better. I took the males that are posted and obviously traced their outline. I tried to scale them but keep in mind its not entirely accurate. The top left is traced straight from the standard (blue standard male because it is the most recent one). As you can see the beak isn't at all that far off (comparing the outline) Yes some are larger than others but you get an idea. The thing I think we can notice the most is there are other areas that vary quite a bit actually.....

Edited to say I do know the illustration in the standard isn't perfect either but it does give an idea to the description. Its a starting point.
smile.png

Last edited:

Okay I hope this is alright with everyone, let me know if not so I can delete it. I did this really quick, and probably could do better. I took the males that are posted and obviously traced their outline. I tried to scale them but keep in mind its not entirely accurate. The top left is traced straight from the standard (blue standard male because it is the most recent one). As you can see the beak isn't at all that far off (comparing the outline) Yes some are larger than others but you get an idea. The thing I think we can notice the most is there are other areas that vary quite a bit actually.....

Edited to say I do know the illustration in the standard isn't perfect either but it does give an idea to the description. Its a starting point.
smile.png
I got to admit those all fairly close in size. I know I need to get a better picture
of my cock where he is in a more natural pose. They just were not co-operating
for pictures. Mine sat there with his head and neck all tucked up. It was good for
beak shot and maybe the comb.

This is an AMAZING thread! I think I've learned more in the last nine pages than the last 9 shows I've attended. NW, what a great idea posting the silhouettes. Makes me want to race out and post pictures of my long beaked, red faced non pea combed birds too :barnie

Boy oh boy, can't wait to see what the next half of the birds bring :p

Two weeks until our first fair... These are my two black cockerels. I like the first a lot better... Thoughts?

And bird 2:

Back
Top Bottom