Standard bred Sumatras

Beaks are not ideal on mine.

Here is a picture of that cockerel I posted before( I cropped it to post the head only). If I was to look at his beak, I would say it also needs to be shorter, at least in appearance. Obviously his comb is not a pea comb and that is where my eyes go to (
barnie.gif
I cant look away!!!). Also his throat has red in it. Not sure how it came out so dark in the picture, but I need to work on that as well. Just a fyi...

Okay I cropped these photos too, but the above pullet I prefer over the one pictured below. I guess it is all about appearances and the pullet below looks like she has a long beak. It just doesn't resemble the referenced drawing from the standard, nor I think fits the description very well.

gig.gif
LOL NWSumatras.........you have the good covered and I have the
ugly covered.....now someone needs to cover the bad.
lau.gif

Thanks for the opinion. I know they need work and discussion here will
help me go in the right direction. I don't have show birds but I am hoping
to breed them to improve and this will guide me.
big_smile.png

This is just one area and need to access all areas before I know what I
will do and what birds to compliment mine for improvement.

No way! Your birds are not ugly, just rough condition which is normal right now. Nobody has the perfect bird! We are all working on something or many things at once. I was showing and example that mine are still on the long and narrow side. Especially the blues I have. If I find a picture of a close up on one I will show you what I mean.

I was not insulted or upset. I really do appreciate the help and fair opinion
of the birds. When I got them I knew they are not show birds but they are good
breeding stock with the right crosses. The more eyes looking at and accessing the
birds the better I can make a decision on what to cross them with. I'm aware no
bird is perfect but no harm in trying to get as close as possible. Your birds are eye
candy and in beautiful condition..........mine are a laying flock that are healthy but
a bit rough right now with room for improvement.
wink.png

Hen 1

Cock 1- I feel that he has one of the shortest and stoutest beaks out of my birds, but lacks a correct pea comb. He also has a almost golf ball shaped head in real life.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom