Starting a Fodder adventure

Pics

FnWeirdo

Songster
Sep 6, 2018
u.p. mi
Hello BWC folks,
This thread will be following my first adventure in fodder, I've done a lot of reading and even did a practice batch using bad quality black oil sunflower seeds. so the purpose of this thread will be to follow me along doing my first "week long fodder rotation"
i will be doing 7 batches of fodder 1 new batch each day and i will be taking plenty photo's while we follow each batch from seed to ready to feed. this will be a bit of a science experiment so i will be doing things like recording the weight each day to see how effienct fodder is.

later on i will be creating an upgraded fodder system but for now i am using the mason jar fodder technique (1/2 gallon jars)
tomorrow will be day 1 with the fodder experiment for anyone that would like to follow along. i will be using organic non gmo barley seed. and i will try to provide any information i can on fodder as we go.

feel free to post and discuss, see you tomorrow for the start of my fodder adventure.

Last edited:
ok first let me knock out what im using.
i am using Ball 1/2 gallon wide mouth mason jars, they are around 10$ for a six pack.
To allow me to fill and drain the jar without removing the lid i bought these plastic caps(5$ for 8 pack of lids)
IMG_20190115_100139.jpg

i drilled a bunch of holes in them like this
IMG_20190115_100241.jpg

on this one my battery in my drilled died and was trying bigger holes for faster drainage... holes are a little too big so a seed or 2 falls out every now and again
IMG_20190115_100253.jpg

second post coming as soon as im done typing it and uploading pics

Last edited:
hello BYC

day 1 is here and we got our 5 pound bag of organic non gmo “juice grade”( means its meant for sprouting, juice grade doesn’t really mean anything just means its sold for humans to juice and consume)

(around 16$ for seed)
IMG_20190115_095903.jpg

day 1 is nice and easy. First we measure some seed . Dry volume measure will be 3 Tablespoons. heres some pictures of weights.
(empty jar with cap weight)
(metric)
IMG_20190115_100025.jpg

(Standard)
IMG_20190115_100036.jpg

(jar with seed and cap) (weighed dry)
(metric)
IMG_20190115_100433.jpg

(standard)
IMG_20190115_100442.jpg

now that the measurement is done we will rinse the seeds and fill the jar with room temp water. ( the seeds need to soak over night) soaking the seeds help the sprouting.
(rinse)
IMG_20190115_100608.jpg

(soak)
IMG_20190115_100755.jpg

now we store them in a cabinet or cover the jar and wait for the morning.

feel free to discuss in the thread and ill see you tomorrow for day 2 of xp(experiment) 1 and day 1 for xp2. have a great day BYC and heres some side notes

*side note -some information say before soak to rinse the seeds in a bleach water solution or other chemicals. I do things with minimum chemicals so i do this with plain water.

*side note -alot of information states to cover the jar while they soak and for the first few days. i will be storing my jars in a cabinet.

*side note- sprouts (fodder) do not need much sunshine and depending on the seed will sprout well in cooler conditions as well

*side note- moisture is our worst enemy with fodder , moisture leads to mildew and mold which is not good at all for our birds. i will be expanding more on this with future posts.

Last edited:
sorry all having difficulty uploading pics from wife android to mac in order to upload as soon as i solve the technical difficulty ill have it posted.

I have done this using pie pans with holes and used coffee filters. I get 5 pans in rotation, and each day feed one and make one. I used wheat.

At first in the dead of winter, they liked it, but as spring came on, I would find the sprouts in the run.

good idea with the pie pans, and i could see why they wouldn't want them with fresh forage around they can peck and scratch at. i only plan on doing fodder when there is limited forage. im drawing up specs on a more advanced system that would be set up on a timer with misters so my daily tasks with fodder would be.... pull the ready to eat tray, empty soaked seeds in new tray and place in system, start soaking a batch for the next day.

ok BYC sorry for the wait

16/Jan/2019
XP1(day 2)
*Drain*
*Rinse*
*Drain*

(seed development pic) -in the morning
IMG_20190116_223759.jpg

*Rinse*
*Drain*
(Seed development pic)- in the afternoon

IMG_20190116_223845.jpg

*Prop in bowl at about 45 degree*
IMG_20190116_110016.jpg

-SIDE NOTE- 45 degree jar and in a bowl is for drainage of the excess moisture in the seeds. You want the seeds spread out but together. This is to allow air flow.

-SIDE NOTE- The mason jar can have a green house effect its important to rinse twice daily

-SIDE NOTE- i just saw the dates are wrong on the jars sorry i will correct lol

more OTW shortly thought id break them up

Back
Top Bottom