Starting chickens, with a disaster

Molly77

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2024
Hi, I'm Molly, totally new to chicken husbandry. Here's my tldr; intro to this forum: I have some acreage in New York and am making a closed loop growing system on my land. Chickens seem like the best way to get hot compostable manure on site, so I ordered 8 buff orps from McMurray back in Nov for April delivery. My chicken coop/run will easily take 20 chickens so that's where I'm heading, but I decided to start small and add over time as my skills improve.

McMurray took the chicks to the post office at 4:45 on Weds last week so they sat overnight there. Long story short, it took them 69 hours of travel to get to me on Sat, and when I got them the box was beat to shit with 9 dead/dying chicks in it. One dead and 6 so weak they were almost dead. 2 looked like they might make it. I hand fed them all (yolk, molasses, electrolyte slurry) with a syringe but they all gave up and died but one. She is in my laundry room in a tote bin with a heat lamp at one end and a brooder plate at the other. The first day she was alone, she was screaming hysterically all day so I spent time with her on my chest on a heat pad, enclosed in my hands (trying to recreate a hen experience) and she calmed down and slept like a rock.

She has had a lot of pasty butt but we've dealt with it. Yesterday she had no visible pasty butt but wasn't pooping at all and looked like she was really straining to go but couldn't. She hadn't pooped all day and was bent over in the poopy position and I could see her straining to go and gradually weakening, so I stroked her abdomen gently with my finger from underneath her for a while hoping to trigger some successful paristalsis (and even if not it just seemed to feel really good to her) and after a while poop came out!

Now she is eating well (Grubbly chick crumbles softened with her drinking water) and drinking (water with electrolytes and a tiny amount of plain yogurt and molasses), and she's starting to make what looks like normal bird poop. She isn't distress calling but mostly just chattering. Still don't know if she will make it.

I have reserved 6 more chicks from Agway for Friday. I have so many questions:

1) Will it be OK to put chicks in with her that are a week younger?
2) Is it to be expected that chicks from the feed store or the mail are always going to have potentially lethal digestive system issues? Are they ever just healthy?
3) Apart from correct temperature, what else can I do to bring their stress level down when they arrive?
4) Is this slurry of yolk, electrolyte water and molasses the correct rescue formula or is there something better?

Thank you for any guidance, and very nice to meet you all! I'm going to read everything about this I can find on this form now...

Oh my that all sounds awful. I don’t have much help to give as I have never had shipped chicks but wanted to welcome you to BYC.
My best guesses are that 6 a week younger going in with one a week older would be OK.
There is lots of experience with mailed chicks who are healthy and my own first chicks from TSC were healthy and happy. So I don’t think disease is inevitable. I do think the shipping process introduces stress which of course makes illnesses more of an issue.

Finally could I suggest you create a thread on this in the emergencies forum as it might pick up more helpful responses than mine.

So sorry you are going through this.

Oh my that all sounds awful. I don’t have much help to give as I have never had shipped chicks but wanted to welcome you to BYC.
My best guesses are that 6 a week younger going in with one a week older would be OK.
There is lots of experience with mailed chicks who are healthy and my own first chicks from TSC were healthy and happy. So I don’t think disease is inevitable. I do think the shipping process introduces stress which of course makes illnesses more of an issue.

Finally could I suggest you create a thread on this in the emergencies forum as it might pick up more helpful responses than mine.

So sorry you are going through this.
Thank you and very nice to meet you!

That sounds awful. Shipping is always hard on chicks, but that should never happen. You need to contact the hatchery and let them know so they can figure out what went so wrong with shipping. I have gotten chicks in the mail twice, and only lost one once. They were never in transit for more than 2 days, and other than the one that arrived dead, always healthy.

Welcome! Very sorry for your rough start. I've ordered birds through the mail from both hatcheries and private breeders countless times. I've had three incidents with results similar to yours that stand out in my mind--nearly the entire order either DOA or not able to be saved. Unfortunately, this is a potential downside to shipping chicks. This isn't necessarily the hatchery's fault. It mostly stems from USPS handling and delays. A 69 hour transit time is much too long and really is not normal. Something had to have been delayed.

My best advice for dealing with shipped birds:

Research hatcheries. Not just reviews and what they offer. Take location into account and where the birds come from. The closer the hatchery is to you, the less travel time. McMurray is in Iowa. That's a decent distance to New York. When ordering hatchery birds, I use Cackle. They're only about four hours from me, so my losses are almost non-existent.

Expect at least some losses. Better to have that real possibility in the front of your mind and be giddy when everyone does well as opposed to devastated when you lose one.

Read the hatchery's (or breeder's) shipping terms. Most will have a live-arrival guarantee and a procedure for reporting any losses. Utilize this.

Have your brooder set up in advance. Make sure it's nice and toasty. Offer electrolytes in their water for at least a day. Monitor for pasty-butt and anyone that seems to be doing poorly. Administer your rescue formula to anyone needing some TLC--this sounds like a good concoction that you've got. Once you're past the 48 hour mark, shipping stress should be about gone.

You will be fine to add other chicks in with your loner, as you should. Shipping is stressful on the birds, but does not always end in disaster. It's still a mix of luck, cooperation from the USPS, and how resilient the birds are. It sounds as though you have a good start with nursing a little one that needs some extra attention. Just hate that you had such a rough time right out of the gate. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. I'm so sorry this happened. I've never ordered chicks through the mail, but I know others have successfully done so. I have always driven to a hatchery, hatched, or bought from farm stores.
She will be fine with chicks up to two to three weeks younger. I'm sure she will do much better when she has company.

Back
Top Bottom