Wow!! No 5th toe or feathered feet!?!?! that is ridiculous!

There are a few hatcheries that sell a few specific breeds that are supposedly bred to the SOP. I do know that cackle sells some purebred Ameraucanas that are pretty nice looking.

However, I believe the tsco around here gets their chicks from Hoover hatchery, and they’re known to sell very poor quality birds, they mainly breed for production. For example, many of their silkies don’t even have feathered feet or don’t have a fifth toe.

I understand that. I definitely wouldnt just breed the birds just to breed. I want to breed nice quality stock, like I said in the original post I have lots of goals and things I want to accomplish. I also think that 1 or 2 of the hatchery birds once of age, could potentially be decent birds to breed. But I definitely can't tell yet since they're still so young.. but you never know. The main ones I will focus on to start my program will be the birds I purchased from the show, because that was my main goal with them.

Just curious here, do you think all chicks/birds bred from any hatcheries cant be up to par? As far as breeding or showing goes? I'm well aware not every bird is of show quality or the standards. But just in general as far as any hatchery in the United States do you think all the chicks are poor quality?
I have a lady I met at the show ( not whom I purchased my birds from ) but she started with all of her Sebrights purchased from I believe either Cackle hatchery or Meyer, and bred raised them etc and showed and bred all of her birds and actually placed nicely with several of her birds.

I've never purchased directly from a hatchery so this is a genuine question for you.

I’m sorry, no one wants you to feel that way here! This is a friendly place for the community to learn.

And as for your stock, I don’t think anyone knew that you were only going to breed the show stock you purchased since it wasn’t specified, that’s why we recommended to not breed the tsco birds. It’s common knowledge that they have very poor quality birds when it comes to breeding and showing.

If you did want advice on the quality of your birds however, this is definitely the place to ask!

Let me explain.
People join the forum. Then they go to the new members introductions section and post an introduction. Then members come along and welcome them.
Sometimes the new member includes questions and sometimes some members reply with answers while others don't but still welcome the new members.
Now do you get it?

No, she has a HUGE post... i believe that someone should give her some tips

Well then maybe post your own introduction thread with your own questions instead of piggy backing on someone else's then being rude because they're getting too many welcomes and not enough answers to satisfy your wants.
I'm a little too old to "chill out". Back in my day we were learning manners instead of chilling all day.

@MakMurrayFarm sorry for side tracking your thread.
Welcome to the forum.

Um, these forums aren't only for the person that asks the question... but also for people that need help with that same thing... and that doesn't make any sense! Oh, and like I said, i wasn't the one that was rude, I was just seeing if anyone would start answering her question. So... im sorry, but youre the one bein rude

Anytime you have @ large crop some of the eggs might be rotten but the very most o them are precious. It is rare to see true conflict so you've seen a BYC bump in the road. I cannot give you perfect advice because you know more about chickens than i do.

What i recommend about your goals is to write them out. Each goal should be separate. Then under each goal you start listing what you have to do to attain. It. If you know there's a timeline for it, include that. For example there's the NPIP certification. How long do you have to have your birds before testing? How long do you have to wait for results? Once you know that you can plan when to start marketing your chickens qualities, when you get someone who is interested and will pay a fair price, start collecting eggs. Also you should set up a bank account to receive payments and possibly pay your chicken expenses out of it.

So these are thought about basic business concepts. My way of dealing with it is list. And start right now to keep pristine records on all of your birds including initial price.

Don't skimp on quality birds. If i can be any help to you. Let me know, okay?:frow

Back
Top Bottom