Starting new flock too late??

rschunk

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Indiana near Cincinnati Ohio
My hens got killed yesterday apparently by a raccoon. I'm wondering if it is too late in the season to start another flock?

I'd like to get some more Barred Plymouth Rocks like I used to have...

Any suggestions?

It's not too late. If you get chicks now, you'll have them laying by next spring. : )

However, before I got more I'd make sure my coop/run are very secure to keep the same coon from getting your replacements. Did the coon get them when they were free ranging? Good luck

~ Aspen

Hi..no, they were in the chicken run.I found one with its head through the wire. I just don't know what actually happened, but, coons are definitely suspect and subject to my wrath...
smile.png

I read yesterday that they sometimes work in pairs, one scaring the chickens to the edge and the other reaching
through and grabbing them....

Just don't know....

I did find one spot where the rain had apparently washed some dirt from the bottom of the run and I suspect the missing one was pulled out from there, but I searched last evening and didn't find anything...

Sounds like coons to me. They just eat the head and leave the rest. Maybe you need to get a game camera and sit it up by your coop?

If you are using the normal chicken wire on your run, I highly advise against it. It's weak and easy to break through. I use old cotton trailer sides for my runs. If that isn't available I use heavy duty welding wire.

~ Aspen

I do not suggest getting adult chickens, unless you are very certian they are in excellent health. I've been burned several times when I bought adult chickens, they gave disease to my whole flock. It's awful. Be very, very cautious when buying adult birds, or even chicks.

~ Aspen

I've had that happen too! But it can happen with any bird you buy. I started isolating my birds after I get them and watching then for a few weeks. We also ended up getting some laying hens that were much older than what we were told so watch out for that too! :)

I'm not really sure...Usually I park in the barn and can hear them clucking when I go to work but haven't been doing that for the past couple weeks. I only discovered them at about 4pm when I went out to feed them after I got home. By that time they were cold.

Back
Top Bottom