Starting that duck house

I finally took a few pics. No it is not done but it is much closer.

IMG_20200523_125054.jpg
This is the North side. Windows are cut, hardware clothed and trimmed.
IMG_20200523_125148.jpg
South window is done except some paint.
Here is how I will prop open. It folds flat inside the window when closed.
IMG_20200523_125133.jpg

IMG_20200523_125217.jpg
This is the East side. That window will swing wide to the side to open as will the ducky door.
I have not built the human door yet. We have rain coming tomorrow so trying to button up windows that are exposed first.

IMG_20200523_125104.jpg
A very soft green paint inside.

I am adding vent space in the human door.

I need to trim down the panels for the 3 still exposed windows and get them on this afternoon. I think then I will start on that human door and duck door.

Looks great be sure to keep this pic before so in a week after moving them inside you can post an after with poop on the walls. Very nice build I love the color.

No kidding right! I think it MIGHT last 5 minutes when they move in. :lau

I have the duck door/ramp, one window and the corner trim left to build. I have not painted the windows, trim or human door yet. I need primer for that. The MAIN reason I painted inside is that siding has a silver side to it. Nope I don't want a house of blinding shine inside.

I will have them moved in before the weekend is over! The pool....that might not be 100% done when I move them but the coop and run space will be secure.

I got the plumbing parts to run a ball valve off the tank to drain far away from their house.

Oh....I need to make latches for the windows too.

If anyone can help....I have pool questions.

1. What gravel is ok on the tiny webbed feet for around the pool?
2. Do you find a need to wash/spray off the gravel?
3. What do you use for a step so they can get out of the pool without injury?
4. What do you think of....putting down heavy plastic sloped to send water into a drainage trough?
I am thinking of using my old shavings bags under the gravel and draped into a piece of plastic gutter that is in a trench and sloped to send water out of the pool space.

I have the duck door/ramp, one window and the corner trim left to build. I have not painted the windows, trim or human door yet. I need primer for that. The MAIN reason I painted inside is that siding has a silver side to it. Nope I don't want a house of blinding shine inside.

I will have them moved in before the weekend is over! The pool....that might not be 100% done when I move them but the coop and run space will be secure.

I got the plumbing parts to run a ball valve off the tank to drain far away from their house.

4. What do you think of....putting down heavy plastic sloped to send water into a drainage trough?
I am thinking of using my old shavings bags under the gravel and draped into a piece of plastic gutter that is in a trench and sloped to send water out of the pool space.
I seem to recall that @shawluvsbirds has quite the palace. Maybe she can help :pop

Are you burying a tank or will it be above ground?
We buried ours and had a ball valve to it. Bought high dollar creek type gravel to put around the pool.
Guess what? Ducks seem to love throwing rocks in the pool.
I think it lasted a year before the ball valve got a rock stuck in it and it broke. I have to use a pump to empty the water now.

Are you burying a tank or will it be above ground?
We buried ours and had a ball valve to it. Bought high dollar creek type gravel to put around the pool.
Guess what? Ducks seem to love throwing rocks in the pool.
I think it lasted a year before the ball valve got a rock stuck in it and it broke. I have to use a pump to empty the water now.

Planning on above ground. I was worried about the rocks getting into the pool too. I might have to stick to bigger rock then. :hmm
The landscape company I use has some very expensive flat round rocks.....like pancake shape. They are smooth and about 3-5" in diameter. Maybe that or flagstone will work well.

I definitely do not want to lose that ball valve or any quacklings. I will see what I have for blocks.....

I found this and rather like her entrance ramp. Just maybe fake grass instead of rocks.

https://www.thriftyfun.com/making-a-duck-pond-1.htmli3

Planning on above ground. I was worried about the rocks getting into the pool too. I might have to stick to bigger rock then. :hmm
The landscape company I use has some very expensive flat round rocks.....like pancake shape. They are smooth and about 3-5" in diameter. Maybe that or flagstone will work well.

I definitely do not want to lose that ball valve or any quacklings. I will see what I have for blocks.....

I found this and rather like her entrance ramp. Just maybe fake grass instead of rocks.

https://www.thriftyfun.com/making-a-duck-pond-1.htmli3
Yes I like that too!
I think pea gravel would be ok if you got a large enough ball valve. Use the biggest drain pipe and valve you can afford. Lol.
I won't do a ground level pool again they get too much muck in it. And shavings/straw just blow into it too.
Makes cleaning a pita.
I need to clean mine tomorrow I'll try and remember to snap some photos.

Yes I like that too!
I think pea gravel would be ok if you got a large enough ball valve. Use the biggest drain pipe and valve you can afford. Lol.
I won't do a ground level pool again they get too much muck in it. And shavings/straw just blow into it too.
Makes cleaning a pita.
I need to clean mine tomorrow I'll try and remember to snap some photos.

I appreciate that a lot. It is a lot of work to do once. I certainly don't want to do it twice.
I did get the plug kit made for the tank. Unfortunately finding things that will work with it I end up with just a 1" pipe.

Ok so more progress!!! 🥳

IMG_20200524_114247.jpg IMG_20200524_114312.jpg IMG_20200524_114329.jpg
This is the door I made and hung yesterday but didn't get a pic. I like these latches too. When closed and padlocked the screws are all hidden.

IMG_20200524_114337.jpg
Sitting in place and the chain link is now secured.
We leveled the ground, put landscape fabric, fine sand and all the pavers I had laying around. Just barely enough. The space around will have some sort of dirt cover as well. I have some concrete pieces from an odd old path pattern I may use there. Then it is just secure wire over the top....yes I wanted wire over the pool....plumb the drain the rest of the way, build a ramp to get in and out as well as the duck door and ramp. Tomorrow is move in day. I think they will be happy.

Close up of the ball valve set up...
IMG_20200524_114212.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_114139.jpg
    IMG_20200524_114139.jpg
    970.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200524_114232.jpg
    IMG_20200524_114232.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom