starting to free range the girls, accidentally

Chickiemom25

Crowing
12 Years
May 13, 2011
North Alabama
Well somehow one of 5 managed to get out sometime after i gave morning treats at 5:30 this morning,. Room mate said she couldn't catch my 8 week old girl. She managed to stay near the other 4 who were stuck in the run and coop fortunately and the neighbor cat left her alone( or she taught it chickens are not to be messed with). A little lettuce and some corn and the 2 who escaped while catching the first girl were all back in the run... I have secured the latches better and hopefully they stay in. I think this weekend I will let 2 out at a time to roam the yard an hour before sundown and see if I can teach them to stay put in the yard and stay out of the orange and lemon trees. Wish me luck

mine leave the citrus trees alone, i have never met a chicken who likes citrus. but young ones seem to sample things a lot before they decide they don't like it. sometimes the sampling is enough to cause damage other times not. good luck!

my three BO hens range in the unfenced front yard with me and I've taught them their limits, and they will not stray. They also will not stay out there unless I'm with them. If I have to run into the house or something while they're out there, they immediately go back into the back yard. I'm betting you can teach them to stay away from certain things, especially if they're never out unless you're with them.

My almost 9 week olds get out in the evenings for an hour or so and have for a week or so. They live in a tractor/run the rest of the time, and the first thing they do when they get out is have flying races. It is a scream to watch. Then they go over to the big girls' run and hang out there for a while with the fence between them and 11 month olds. The big girls are out in the yard whenever I'm home except for that hour or so. I'm hoping to combine the flocks in a month or two when they are all about the same size. They go back in easily. I get a branch from the willow tree in each hand and stretch my arms out to the sides and herd them toward the door saying "time to go in" and they do. In fact last night all I had to do was say the phrase and they headed to the coop door. VERY smart chickies.

I was just going to ask about starting free ranging for my 14 week old girls (12 of them). I'm new to BYC and also a new mom to these lovely girls. I'm loving every minute! I will try to let them out in the evening for about an hour - but I'm afraid they might all ignore me to run after the multitude of grasshoppers in the yard!

If I have a group of chicks that are getting to be almost full grown size (3 - 4 months) I will start by opening their pen door when I get home from work. They will come out and explore but no go far from the pen and naturally want to go back in for bed. Then on the weekends I will open the door and let them explore during the day and see how that goes. Usually there are no issues and they can free range around the barn,yard & house as they widen their area.

Oh and what Sharol said about the sticks is right. I use a stick 3-5 feet long (depending which one I pick up) to "herd" them with. Works great! That's how I taught mine their limits in the front yard. I never have hit them with it but they tend to go opposite the direction it's coming from like magic.

I had to use a broom with two wayward ones tonight, still young and we were only able to let them out a little today and it was late. I also have never hit them with the broom, use it as the long arm I don't have for round up.

My long are of the law is the green lawn rake. I like the big fan end and I sweep it out and they herd great. When the girls see me coming with it they know they better get themselves back towards the barn where they belong rather than the upper end of the driveway.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom