Starving chicks

khoe

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Sunny California
So I was worried my chicks had cocci (one out of my two really), because I saw a questionable poo, (which wasn't the typical bloody cocci poo). I went and got corid, and started both chicks on it tonight. I then realized they they don't like their new food, and I don't think they've eaten much since Monday. I now think that their problems is just that they've been starving!! I feel awful. But now that I know I have them some of their previous food, and will get more tomorrow. Since I started with corid do I need to continue for the course or should I go back to putting the probiotics in the water? Will having one evening of corid be more harmful? I think they'd benefit from the electrolytes and vitamins in the probiotics.

if they DON'T have cocci then take them off corid. yes probotic would be great for them. also the vitamin . best of luck! hope this helps.

It's just such a hard call, because they COULD have it...I just KNOW they for sure weren't eating that food. Both chicks ate almost all night after I put the previous food in, and I just worry that it's too far. I will definitely keep the feeder full, but am just so torn on the corid water just in case or the probiotic water. If they were so hungry they must need vitamins and electrolytes.

I figured I'd update. The chick I was originally worried about, ate a TON of food. I'm thinking she maybe didn't let the other one eat as much, as the other one won't eat from the feeder, but only scratch and eat at stuff on the ground. They are still active when I go out there, although they are sleeping a lot (normal for 14 day old chicks, right?). One chick does have very watery diarrhea and I have seen her drinking a ton of water, this is the same chick that will not eat from the feeder. I worry about seperating them and causing them more stress. The reason I feel they need corid is they are very puffy and nesty like they are cold. I have temps at 88-90, and they are staying fairly near the light. They do have a pan of dirt that has been in their cage for over a week, should I take it out? They are enjoying scratching and snacking on food that is sprinkled in there. At this point, I am really worried I will lose one or both, as one is eating a ton and I've seen her drink, but she is very thin and still fluffy. The other is the diarrhea and fluffy. Can anyone please help me save my poor chickies? These are my first chicks and I am absolutely devastated already.

Back
Top Bottom