Stay off my porch!

mama k

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 10, 2014
Hot, humid TX
Our chickens free-range during the day and LOVE the poop all over the back porch. So gross. I spray it down with the water hose every day. How can I keep them off my porch? Other than screening it in, which we hope to do eventually, but it will be a while...

On the plus side, I took this cool picture this morning:

I go thru the same problem. Everyday and its frustrating and annoying! I put floor fans on and blew them towards the stairs. it helped.

You could do like Ma Kettle use to do, get the broom out and sweep them off.
wink.png

Here is what I did to keep them off my patio I found one of those plastic owls at a garage sale for like two bucks. WORKED LIKE A CHARM.

The first time before free range time I simple place it on the patio. I went and opened the gate. The hens always would follow me back to the house. Well this time they got about half way and one hen spotted it. Well the girls got to talking loudly amongst themselves about it. One girl, well her nerves finally got the best of her and boy did she bolt back to the coop and within a second or two the rest were hot on her tail.

The first time it really did freak them out. It took a few days and they "were over it" but they stayed off the patio.

You could do like Ma Kettle use to do, get the broom out and sweep them off.
wink.png

Here is what I did to keep them off my patio I found one of those plastic owls at a garage sale for like two bucks. WORKED LIKE A CHARM.

The first time before free range time I simple place it on the patio. I went and opened the gate. The hens always would follow me back to the house. Well this time they got about half way and one hen spotted it. Well the girls got to talking loudly amongst themselves about it. One girl, well her nerves finally got the best of her and boy did she bolt back to the coop and within a second or two the rest were hot on her tail.

The first time it really did freak them out. It took a few days and they "were over it" but they stayed off the patio.
too funny !
lau.gif

Get the hose out before they get to the porch?
Couple squirts along with a loud 'Stay off my porch!' oughta do the trick :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom