Steam Boiler Help -- Emergency

Redcatcher

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
At My Desk!
First of all, it is not my boiler or my house so having a new one installed is not an option. Even though it should be the landlord's problem, he warned me months ago that the boiler was failing and he was not going to replace it. In fact, I was supposed to have moved out last November but I was granted an extension until May IF I wanted to stay. The house is being renovated then and he is ditching the steam radiators. My only option is to move out if the boiler fails altogether. Anyway, the temperatures are supposed to be dropping to -10* at night. The boiler does not hold water...Steam is going up the chimney from a hole somewhere. We tried boiler seal a couple of weeks ago and it did not work. Up until tonight, it was holding it's own but having to fill it 2-3 times a day. Now it runs non-stop and does not cycle at all. It warms the house up fast and the radiators get really hot but it runs until the water runs out (about 7-8 minutes)and yes it does automatically shut off when the water runs out. Is this a sign that the boiler finally blew out or is it some other problem? It seems to me that if the radiators are getting really hot and I hear the vents working normally, it SHOULD cycle. I am no expert though.

Not an expert either... but it could be because it should be a closed loop system. It may not be able to recognize it needs to shut off because of the leak so it keeps running to try and reach pressure in the line. The only way to make it stop is to repair the leak. This won't require the boiler to be replaced as it's working, it just needs a repair in a line.

But you may have some legal recourse if he's refusing to provide a source of heat.

Quote:
You are likely correct. It is Utica boiler with a two pipe system. It is about 7-8 years old but I could not tell you the model number, though I could get it next time I fill it (for any experts out there). Yes, I know I could force the landlord to provide me with heat and I could even withhold rent. I had a discussion over this with him awhile back and that is not an option for me. Morally, I could not force the issue and I will not change my mind. I was told the boiler could not be repaired. We are not sure where the leak is but someone he knew looked at it and mentioned push nipples. But the radiators are getting hot quickly and if I cycle the boiler manually, I get plenty of heat. It just is not practical for me to do this all night.

Wow, this is a real problem in that we have another two months+ of winter. Is there any way that you can step up your "move out" date? Or is there any chance of having someone else take a look at the boiler? We limped along on an old furnace that we were told "could not" be repaired for 2 or 3 years. The anxiety of dealing with the continually expected "breakdowns" got to us and we replaced it this summer. Kerosene heaters were/are our back ups. Gold luck at resolving this. It always seems to happen at the worst possible time.

Back
Top Bottom