Stella's Social Club

I'm an just LOVING this spitzhauben I've got growing out- having a heck of a time getting started with this breed. I've had a breeding quad since mid spring. At first a lot of clear eggs, then a lot of bloodrings, I seem to lose more than average number of chicks for no reason, then I finally had a few chicks in the brooders and I had a massive shed overheat and lost everything. I managed to get a few more hatched out before they went into molt. Crossing my fingers this is a girl! I'm thinking it is but not sure yet. She's about 7-8 weeks old.

Ammon is enamored with her. He asked tonight if he could name her. I told him if he came out and held her for a few minutes every day, and tamed her with mealworms, for two months, he could name her. He is thrilled!

Cute, your son sure looks happy with her.

Rinda they are both cute as a bug's ear. I vote pullet too.

Had a scare today in the little chicken coop, a friend of mine has been doing chores since I've been out of town. When she stopped today she found a hawk in the small chicken pen! The three babies in that pen were inside the coop huddled under the brooder plate, and the big birds in the big coop were all inside as that pen is adjacent to the small pen. She opened the pen door and a rather unhappy Hawk escaped. Whew! I figured the hawk hit the netting over the pen so hard that it ripped away the staples holding it along one side. Everyone survived, and the babies are in lockdown until the netting is repaired. We get lots of migrating hawks this time of year.

Rinda they are both cute as a bug's ear. I vote pullet too.

Had a scare today in the little chicken coop, a friend of mine has been doing chores since I've been out of town. When she stopped today she found a hawk in the small chicken pen! The three babies in that pen were inside the coop huddled under the brooder plate, and the big birds in the big coop were all inside as that pen is adjacent to the small pen. She opened the pen door and a rather unhappy Hawk escaped. Whew! I figured the hawk hit the netting over the pen so hard that it ripped away the staples holding it along one side. Everyone survived, and the babies are in lockdown until the netting is repaired. We get lots of migrating hawks this time of year.
Close call!

Hawks can be very determined. Earlier this fall, I found a juvenile Coopers Hawk trying to get through the side of the non-climb fencing. (run is covered) It had to be pretty desperate to try to fit through that! Luckily, my dog and I made it re-think it's plans.

Denise was sure the 3 little pullets were gone - when she called them the poked their heads out from under the plate. I really like these 3, just mixes but cute, smart and friendly. Hopefully good layers of pretty green eggs too.

Back
Top Bottom