Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Does anyone have any experience with Mycoplasma meleagridis? It is a primarily a turkey disease but can be transmitted to chickens. It is egg and/or sexually transmitted. This may be what is going on with my Isbars. It is incurable but you can treat the eggs and keep it from transferring to the offspring. The problem is I can't find the product, Gentadip, anywhere, it seems to be discontinued. :( I have a phone message placed with OSU animal diagnostics lab maybe they can give me more ideas of what to test for. The other other thing I have found that may answer the problem is that it could be some form of e. coli.

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Take one in for Necropsy and you will know for sure what is going on.

Southland Organics sells a product called Litter Life that remove e.coli from the soil\litter. I would not treat until I knew what was going on.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    The continuing story of the stinking chicks.

Yesterday, after spending HOURS chasing chicks around in the heat, I was finally able to capture 7 out of 8. That one last chick evaded me. She even found a spot to roost, I was able to sneak up on her and make a grab. My fingers brushed over her, but hit the edge of the roost as I made my grab and I missed. I then followed her around the run and she flew at me, I made about four more grabs, but missed making good contact, even though I touched her each time.

Last night it was somewhat disconcerting (read that scared the [email protected] out of me) to see those two pairs of eyes glowing back at me in the darkness. Looked pretty obviously to belong to raccoons and unlike me, they were totally unafraid. They are getting far too bold, they have been digging around the edges of the pens and now and then manage to reach an egg laid along the wire. Fortunately, the pen bottoms are lined with wire.

But it's been a good grazing ground around here lately, they made a trash raid about two weeks ago, they carried off the deceased hen I forgot to pick up (I did find their dining spot for her yesterday in all my attempts to corral the chicks).

Yesterday in all the uproar, another exchequer pullet put her head into the pen next door and the bresse tried to slit her throat. She managed to pull it back, but of course her "friends"/siblings/penmates then tried to remove the rest of her throat for her. I pulled her from the pen, but couldn't find where DH last put the BluKote, so she is currently in a hospital crate in the garage.

Anyway, just now I went looking for the final missing chick. I saw no sign of her or a final resting place for her. Of course, she only weighed about 2 pounds, they'd just throw her under their arm and take her home for a late night snack. I was morosely looking through the pens and thinking I'm down to about 3 exchequer pullets, counting the one in the garage.

I was doing my morning inspection and coming about the pens at the far end. There is a pen of bantam buff brahmas. There is a gap at the bottom of their gate, big enough for a raccoon, skunk, opossum to stroll through. I keep telling DH we need to adjust the gate better. I keep expecting to find carnage from a night time attack. The predator activity has gotten so heavy, I need to start setting the trap every night to reduce their population. I didn't want to do it while he's been gone, because I didn't want to deal with anything I might catch. Tonight I set it, it can be a welcome home surprise for him when I pick him up from the airport.

Anyway, I walked around that last corner of runs, looked in the pen...............................................and there was that leghorn pullet in with the brahmas. She apparently found the gap at the bottom of the door and squeezed in. She now wanted back OUT. I snagged her with my net and put her back with her "family".

Kind of an anticlimactic ending to the story, but it certainly wasted about 4-5 hours of my time yesterday, chasing those dang birds in the heat/humidity.

4. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Here is a Raccoon Story!

http://www.designntrend.com/article...-old-blind-girl-fends-crazed-raccoon-save.htm

5. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Oh Deb I'm so sorry! Haha but I can't stop chuckling!
    Yep called and got things set up with the OSU disease and diagnostics lab. I'm so sick of losing 90% of my Isbar chicks every single week. [​IMG]

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am hoping for a good outcome!

7. Miss Molly

Miss Molly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Newcastle California
    Me too! How awful :(

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I hope it turns out to something simple Rinda. Good luck.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Ditto!

Mary - cute haircut.

Dar - looks like you are on a cooling trend in hell. We'll be joining you, it's supposed to get to 115 this weekend.

Deb - so glad the little bugger found a way into a coop. I thought my broody drama was bad!

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Thanks Kelly.

I finally got my hands on my broody's eggs last night and candled them. She had her original four and then "acquired" another four eggs in the broody process. Interestingly, her original four are looking good with well developed chicks moving and grooving in the shells. The four extra eggs are all clear!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by