Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Just got some more results from the lab. It is definitely a bacterial infection killing my Isbar chicks; they are culturing the bacteria now to identify it.

Histopathology Comments (July 3, 2013): Microscopic changes in the birds are
    consistent with bacterial infection and inflammation of the yolk sac remnants (i.e.
    omphalitis). Two of the chicks also have evidence of septicemia. Acute bacterial
    sepsis is the apparent cause of death. Bacteriology has recovered bacteria from
    these chicks; however, final identification is pending. Identification of the
    bacteria should help determine the route of spread. Until we have identified the
    bacteria in this case, it is recommended that eggs from this breed not be
    consumed, in the event that the bacteria are Salmonella.
    Final bacteriology is pending.

Multiple H&E-stained tissue sections are examined microscopically. Tissues on
    slides 1-3 are from chick 6/28; tissues on slides 4-6 are from chick 6/29; and
    tissues on slides 7-9 are from chick 7/1. There is mild to moderate postmortem
    autolysis of the tissue sections.
    Yolk sac: The yolk sac contents of chicks 6/28 (slide 2), 6/29 (slide 5), and 7/1
    (slide 8) are heavily colonized by bacteria. The bacteria and cellular debris are
    bordered by a rim of heterophils and histiocytes.
    Lung: The lung of chick 6/29 (slide 4) contains multifocal necrosis that is
    centered on parabronchi. The necrotic foci contain deposits of fibrin, edema, and
    infiltration by many bacteria (bacterial rods) that are occasionally intracellular.
    The necrotic lung tissue is infiltrated by modest numbers of heterophils and fewer
    histiocytes. There is a single focus of necrosis and bacteria in the lung of chick
    7/1 (slide 7); however, several of the pulmonary capillaries are colonized by
    bacteria. Small numbers of bacteria are present in a parabronchus of chick 6/28,
    but these organisms may be postmortem invaders.
    Spleen: Lymphoid tissue in the spleens of chicks 6/29 (slide 5) and 7/1 (slide 7)
    are markedly depleted and accompanied by multifocal deposition of fibrin.
    Multifocal bacterial colonization is also present in the spleen of chick 7/1.
    Liver: Bacteria multifocally colonize the hepatic sinusoids and vasculature of
    chick 7/1 (slide 8). Small foci of hepatocellular degeneration and necrosis are
    scattered randomly throughout the liver of this chick.
    Kidney: Bacteria multifocally colonize the renal vasculature of chick 7/1 (slide 9).
    No significant histologic lesions are identified in sections of heart, trachea,
    esophagus, crop, proventriculus, ventriculus, intestine, or brain.

It must be something my adults are carrying but their immune systems are strong enough to be asymptomatic. Now to wait some more to find out what kind of bacteria....

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Oh no, I'll carry my own stuff. The men in the troop don't like "those" women that whine about not having a bathroom, etc. I will not be one of "those" women.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Rinda - maybe it is in your dirt, not your birds.

4. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    Were these chicks hatched in an incubator ? Something must be growing in there, or the hatcher. What ever, if I had hatched these chicks I would be on a real tear sterilizing my bator, and hatcher ,and brooder.

5. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Heard this one today and loved it!
    [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    As soon as I saw the letters OCD - I thought of Monk - the defunct TV show -

7. LaceyMae

LaceyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

My brother, who IS OCD, has been saying this for years! LOL! He still says it when he notices he's being obsessive. When he was in the second grade, he would arrange the markers and erasers on the tray of the white board. If the teacher used one and set it in the wrong place, he would fixate on it until he had an oppourtunity to get up and fix it. It drove the teacher nuts, of course, for her it was a short drive. He is usually aware when he is doing it and can temper it, but it's there all the time. He's 14 now.

8. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    My "brother", I do alphabetize my spices.

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Agreed about the incubator. Oxine without the activator is good for cleaning and killing bacteria. Oz said to put a couple of pre 1987 pennies into the water and it will kill bacteria and fungus--makes a weak copper sulfide solution.

Southland Organics sells a product called litter life that will kill bacteria and etc. in the coop and runs.

Rinda it is great that you have an answer!

10. LaceyMae

LaceyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

That actor who played Monk, what is his name? Sharoob? He does a FANTASTIC job capturing the disorder. I loved to watch that show, just to watch him.

ETA: It's Tony Shalhoub

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by