Stella's Social Club

Just got some more results from the lab. It is definitely a bacterial infection killing my Isbar chicks; they are culturing the bacteria now to identify it.

Histopathology Comments (July 3, 2013): Microscopic changes in the birds are
consistent with bacterial infection and inflammation of the yolk sac remnants (i.e.
omphalitis). Two of the chicks also have evidence of septicemia. Acute bacterial
sepsis is the apparent cause of death. Bacteriology has recovered bacteria from
these chicks; however, final identification is pending. Identification of the
bacteria should help determine the route of spread. Until we have identified the
bacteria in this case, it is recommended that eggs from this breed not be
consumed, in the event that the bacteria are Salmonella.
Final bacteriology is pending.

Multiple H&E-stained tissue sections are examined microscopically. Tissues on
slides 1-3 are from chick 6/28; tissues on slides 4-6 are from chick 6/29; and
tissues on slides 7-9 are from chick 7/1. There is mild to moderate postmortem
autolysis of the tissue sections.
Yolk sac: The yolk sac contents of chicks 6/28 (slide 2), 6/29 (slide 5), and 7/1
(slide 8) are heavily colonized by bacteria. The bacteria and cellular debris are
bordered by a rim of heterophils and histiocytes.
Lung: The lung of chick 6/29 (slide 4) contains multifocal necrosis that is
centered on parabronchi. The necrotic foci contain deposits of fibrin, edema, and
infiltration by many bacteria (bacterial rods) that are occasionally intracellular.
The necrotic lung tissue is infiltrated by modest numbers of heterophils and fewer
histiocytes. There is a single focus of necrosis and bacteria in the lung of chick
7/1 (slide 7); however, several of the pulmonary capillaries are colonized by
bacteria. Small numbers of bacteria are present in a parabronchus of chick 6/28,
but these organisms may be postmortem invaders.
Spleen: Lymphoid tissue in the spleens of chicks 6/29 (slide 5) and 7/1 (slide 7)
are markedly depleted and accompanied by multifocal deposition of fibrin.
Multifocal bacterial colonization is also present in the spleen of chick 7/1.
Liver: Bacteria multifocally colonize the hepatic sinusoids and vasculature of
chick 7/1 (slide 8). Small foci of hepatocellular degeneration and necrosis are
scattered randomly throughout the liver of this chick.
Kidney: Bacteria multifocally colonize the renal vasculature of chick 7/1 (slide 9).
No significant histologic lesions are identified in sections of heart, trachea,
esophagus, crop, proventriculus, ventriculus, intestine, or brain.

It must be something my adults are carrying but their immune systems are strong enough to be asymptomatic. Now to wait some more to find out what kind of bacteria....

I planned to go on a 6 day 50 mile backpacking trip with my son and his Boy Scout Troop.  My DH told me (and I quote) that I shouldn't go because I'd never make it.  He decided to come along too, because there were not enough adult leaders for the boys - and if anyone got injured we'd need the extra adult.  Now I'm way more fit than he is, but I would not make it?  I've been working hard on my endurance at the gym - he has done nothing.  Gimme a break.   I am going to leave him in the dust and make him eat his words. 

SInce your husband is so concerned about you, maybe he should carry some of your gear. 

Oh no, I'll carry my own stuff. The men in the troop don't like "those" women that whine about not having a bathroom, etc. I will not be one of "those" women.

Just got some more results from the lab. It is definitely a bacterial infection killing my Isbar chicks; they are culturing the bacteria now to identify it.

Histopathology Comments (July 3, 2013): Microscopic changes in the birds are
consistent with bacterial infection and inflammation of the yolk sac remnants (i.e.
omphalitis). Two of the chicks also have evidence of septicemia. Acute bacterial
sepsis is the apparent cause of death. Bacteriology has recovered bacteria from
these chicks; however, final identification is pending. Identification of the
bacteria should help determine the route of spread. Until we have identified the
bacteria in this case, it is recommended that eggs from this breed not be
consumed, in the event that the bacteria are Salmonella.
Final bacteriology is pending.

Multiple H&E-stained tissue sections are examined microscopically. Tissues on
slides 1-3 are from chick 6/28; tissues on slides 4-6 are from chick 6/29; and
tissues on slides 7-9 are from chick 7/1. There is mild to moderate postmortem
autolysis of the tissue sections.
Yolk sac: The yolk sac contents of chicks 6/28 (slide 2), 6/29 (slide 5), and 7/1
(slide 8) are heavily colonized by bacteria. The bacteria and cellular debris are
bordered by a rim of heterophils and histiocytes.
Lung: The lung of chick 6/29 (slide 4) contains multifocal necrosis that is
centered on parabronchi. The necrotic foci contain deposits of fibrin, edema, and
infiltration by many bacteria (bacterial rods) that are occasionally intracellular.
The necrotic lung tissue is infiltrated by modest numbers of heterophils and fewer
histiocytes. There is a single focus of necrosis and bacteria in the lung of chick
7/1 (slide 7); however, several of the pulmonary capillaries are colonized by
bacteria. Small numbers of bacteria are present in a parabronchus of chick 6/28,
but these organisms may be postmortem invaders.
Spleen: Lymphoid tissue in the spleens of chicks 6/29 (slide 5) and 7/1 (slide 7)
are markedly depleted and accompanied by multifocal deposition of fibrin.
Multifocal bacterial colonization is also present in the spleen of chick 7/1.
Liver: Bacteria multifocally colonize the hepatic sinusoids and vasculature of
chick 7/1 (slide 8). Small foci of hepatocellular degeneration and necrosis are
scattered randomly throughout the liver of this chick.
Kidney: Bacteria multifocally colonize the renal vasculature of chick 7/1 (slide 9).
No significant histologic lesions are identified in sections of heart, trachea,
esophagus, crop, proventriculus, ventriculus, intestine, or brain.

It must be something my adults are carrying but their immune systems are strong enough to be asymptomatic. Now to wait some more to find out what kind of bacteria....
Were these chicks hatched in an incubator ? Something must be growing in there, or the hatcher. What ever, if I had hatched these chicks I would be on a real tear sterilizing my bator, and hatcher ,and brooder.

My brother, who IS OCD, has been saying this for years! LOL! He still says it when he notices he's being obsessive. When he was in the second grade, he would arrange the markers and erasers on the tray of the white board. If the teacher used one and set it in the wrong place, he would fixate on it until he had an oppourtunity to get up and fix it. It drove the teacher nuts, of course, for her it was a short drive. He is usually aware when he is doing it and can temper it, but it's there all the time. He's 14 now.

Were these chicks hatched in an incubator ? Something must be growing in there, or the hatcher. What ever, if I had hatched these chicks I would be on a real tear sterilizing my bator, and hatcher ,and brooder.
Agreed about the incubator. Oxine without the activator is good for cleaning and killing bacteria. Oz said to put a couple of pre 1987 pennies into the water and it will kill bacteria and fungus--makes a weak copper sulfide solution.

Southland Organics sells a product called litter life that will kill bacteria and etc. in the coop and runs.

Rinda it is great that you have an answer!

Back
Top Bottom