Stella's Social Club

Mary )and others in northern CA), I hate to rub it in, but we are having the most wonderful thunderstorm up here in the mountains. Feels so good after dealing with all the heat!
I'm not in N. Cali, but if we have one more thunderstorm, well let's just say everyday since 6/25 we've had thunderstorms everyday, the 10 day forecast shows thunderstorms for the next 10 days. Cocci is going through the goats, but somehow the chickens have been spared. It's a wet smelly mess out there. It needs to end soon.

We just finished attaching 2 6 ft sections of shade cloth across the runs! Each run wll have an additional 168 square feet of shade during the day, depending on where the sun happens to be. It should make a world of difference for the poor birds. I just need to wait for a cool day to finish pulling it tight and attaching the clips for when the wind and rain comes. If we get snow I'll have to take it down but it can always go back up. Right now they need some shade!

This picture is just one 6 ft x 50 ft piece

This shows the two sections.

I think I may enclose three sides of the sawhorse tables and make shade shelters for the big waterers. The water is scalding hot out there.

Last edited:
Looking good Mary! Keeping the waters cool is hard. I was driving around the farm dumping waters for the cows the other day. Hot water is not a good thing. Take care of yourself in the heat.

Mike - that stinks about the cocci in the goats. There was no rain at home where my chickens are.

Mary - that was fast on getting the shade cloth and getting it installed! I'm sure the birds will really appreciate it.

Mary - that was fast on getting the shade cloth and getting it installed! I'm sure the birds will really appreciate it.
The heat reduction under the shade cloth was definitely noticeable as we were installing it. With the netting over the runs it was a bit of a chore. We decided to put it in the center because we will get shade during the hottest parts of the day there. If we had attached it at the tops of the runs, the shade would have been behind the runs most of the day.

I am so glad Michael agreed about putting up shade cloth. The chickens had so many places to get cool at the last house that they just don't have here.

So, we took possession of our new home today. As the former owners were packing things out of the garage, we were moving things in through the front door. We cleaned out our pantry and all of our food storage and it's all at the new home.

We took three mattresses and the new 55" TV and our 16 year old is sleeping there tonight.

We had Bar-B-Q and pool party here at the old home this evening for my daughters church group. 12 girls ages 9-11 with two adult leaders.

I cooked burgers and hot dogs.

Cleaned the pool at the new place. I was surprised at how WARM the water was with a pool that is 9.5 ft deep.

Tomorrow we have a Church 4th of July breakfast and flag raising at Papago Park at 7AM. I don't dare leave because I have a repairman coming to fix my phone lines.

So, I'll just be putting stuff in boxes. Until he comes.

Today I brought home towels from work to launder. And of course our washing machine broke down. I went to sears and bought a new one. They'll deliver it with the Fridge on Friday Evening. I HOPE!

On Friday morning, I have to be at the new place at 8AM as I have a locksmith coming and we are changing all of the locks and keys. Then when that's done, we can continue moving stuff in earnest.

On Friday evening, i have to be at the new place from 5:30PM until 7:30PM as they'll be delivering and installing the Fridge and the washing machine.
Hopefully we'll get the dryer up there and installed sometime on Friday.

On Friday evening, I have to pick up a U-Haul truck at 6:30PM... so I guess my wife will have to be at the new place... We have the truck for 24 hours and then we have to pay .89 a mile. Not cheap.

My girls have really slowed down laying this week due to the heat.. Got 5 today but only 3 yesterday and only 1 the day before that.

Last week I had 12 and 10 egg days.

I've only got enough feed for about two more weeks and then those who are getting my birds will need to pick them up.

I am exhausted with only 3 trips up to the new place today. I think as soon as I can tomorrow, I'll start taking clothes and more kitchen stuff.

Hope I can get some sleep tonight.

Good thing you are pacing yourself Dar
duc.gif
that work load sounds like too much for two or three people. Remember slow , deep breaths - breathe in, breathe out. Take a lot of short rest periods. Things will get done in good time. You are very important to us - take care of yourself. There is nothing wrong with "guilting " people into helping.

Back
Top Bottom