Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. cbnovick

cbnovick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am so sorry!

I hope you get a final back soon so that you know how to treat them.

3. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Hey hey!! just checked my e-mail- there's an update from the OSU lab on the Isbar chicks!! It is a little weird that they send a new report at each step? Again it says "Final bacteriology is pending" but they did state that E coli appears to be the main suspect.

"Comments (July 5, 2013): Bacteriology reports that both bacteria recovered from
    this case are identified as E. coli. Yolk sac infection and subsequent septicemia
    remains teh apparent cause of death. It is unclear why only this breed of
    chickens seem to be affected. These bacteria may be trasmitted from infected
    hens, or be the result of egg contamination. Attempts to mildly disinfect eggs
    prior to incubation may be beneficial."

But as the eggs are laid in a clean box, stored in a disinfected tray, and incubated in a disinfected tray I'm not sure if disinfecting the eggs with Oxine will be enough? I guess I will find out in about 5-6 weeks. I was planning to start disinfecting the eggs anyway. I am planning on 1/2 tsp to 2 quarts of water, soak for 20 minutes, then lay on a towel to dry. Does this sound adequate to those of you who disinfect your eggs? Do I use warm water or cold?

Any way to treat the adults, starting with the Litter Life to treat the coop and run?

As I noticed a difference in being able to save a few chicks using Colloidal Silver I will continue to use it, at least adding to their water daily.

1 person likes this.
  4. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    That's the dilution I use, but I just spray them with a spray bottle until they are wet, then put them in a carton to dry. If I wash a dirty egg, I use warm water, but the Oxine solution is just room temperature and immediately afterwards.

5. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    We are not on that stodgy other thread so now you get:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] If you were closer, I might need to take a road trip and [​IMG]some of those chicks for myself!

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Hey! It is great that you have the results.

Use the Oxine like deb said. If you get a sick one, look into putting an oxine solution in to a cool mister for them to breath it.

The Litter life was shown in a study to remove e coli from the chicken coops and runs. It is fairly reasonably priced and will help all of your chickens.

Great job!

7. cbnovick

cbnovick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Thanks Ron!!!
    Love the SUV and chicken 'catcher' especially!!!

Cindy

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I am soo soo sorry to hear that. It is so hard to lose the favorites, I know. [​IMG] What a pretty girl she was too!

Mary, I thought of you when I saw this pretty lamp on auction. It is only going for $20. so far. What a deal, eh? It even has a light at the bottom.

[​IMG]

9. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    So sorry Rinda. You must be going a bit crazy right now. Hope things settle down. Oops just noticed you got the final report. So strange that only the Isbars have it. At least you can make an action plan now.

Cute chicks everyone.

I had another late quitter so it looks the best I will get are 2 Icelandics, one Isbar, and 2 project babies.

Here's what I have so far:

[​IMG]

Project Baby:

[​IMG]

Project baby:

[​IMG]

Icelandic:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    That's a pretty lamp Kathy! What auction?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by