Stella's Social Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmddh

Broody #1 has hatched, 6 new barny chicks.

I thought you were going to switch her out and give her Icelandics?

My Broody #2 is an olive egger that has never hatched babies before. She did squish one baby a couple of days before hatch and it didn't make it. But she hatched 6 yesterday and is doing wonderfully with them. (5 welsummers and 1 barnevelder) I moved her to the "private" broody area last night for her to teach her chicks eating and drinking. In a week or so, I'll let her out in the flock with her babies.
clap.gif

My food photography class is over.
hit.gif

This week's assignment was light painting. We had to shoot in a totally dark room. The only light we could use was a tiny penlight. The shots were set up and focused with the lights on then we had to turn the light off, open the shutter on the camera for 20-30 seconds and paint the light on the food. It's hard! really hard! I got light all over the place. You also get double and triple shadows ( bad) so you have to be careful how many times you illuminate one area. Anyway, here are my shots. I'll condense George's comment because he went waaaaay off into technical stuff for the rest of the class, referencing photos in the lesson.

I told him that my backdrop fell on my scene and ruined the food and I fed it to the chickens. The last part of his critique was suggesting supports I could buy to keep the backdrops in place. I thought his last sentence was cute!

My critique:

Hi Mary

Your styling and composition, just as in your previous images, is very well done. The image of the fruit tart needs more light coming from the side or rear, to accentuate the fruit on top. If you look at the crust you can see some shape along the sides, but as you get to the center it flattens out. With something like this, I assume, you want the eye to be drawn to the top. However the eye is naturally drawn to the brightest part of the image; in this case it is the crust. Light painting takes a little practice and, in time, you will get the hang of it. You have a great eye. Your work is very impressive. Keep working with this method and in no time at all you will be seeing outstanding results!

PS I use backdrop stands such as this, http://www.adorama.com/PH83430.html to either hang material/backdrops from. For smaller items I'll use a reflector holder similar to thishttp://www.adorama.com/WEPBRH.html. It has clips on each end that you can lock in a thin piece of wood or foam core board. Although none of this info is going to make the chickens happy!

George
They look delicious and the photos are wonderful. I imagine the penlight would take plenty of practice.

th.gif
sickbyc.gif
Oh Mary, do people really eat those(squid or octopus ) - they look like they would put their tenacles around your neck and choke you before you could eat them. All things considered that might be a kindness. I can't believe someone who could make such beautiful desserts could have such a black side to them. Will Michael eat those???? I'm gone
hide.gif

Beautiful pictures Mary! I love the middle one! Your instructor is right, my eye went right to the crust on the tart. Love his last sentence.
lol.png
Your chickens are way too spoiled.

Last edited:
Another broody hatched some chicks. She is up in the eaves of the goat barn, my wife just noticed her the other day. We didn't realize she was this far into incubation. The other broody with chicks seems to have lost one, so is down to 5. Not certain how many the other one has hatched.

Back
Top Bottom