Stella's Social Club

Correction: Briet now has 6 eggs under her. I added the 2 Barnevelder eggs laid today. This is why I don't want any more broodies, I just can't resist putting eggs under them!

I've actually had a hen die from being broody too long so I'm scared to not let them sit if they want to. Thankfully, I had another broody at the time and she took the two 2 week old chicks willingly in with hers.

I once moved a BO hen to break her from being broody and she got sick shortly afterward in with the Dels and died. Now I'm afraid not to let them sit. If they hatch a chick I can at least take the other eggs and toss them I suppose.

I now have one coop with all five hens sitting on eggs. Another coop with two EE hens on eggs and another with a BR and two B. Marans sitting. Not to mention Frenchy with her two. I do hope the hatch out something soon.

Oh and I forgot I've got two B. Marans hens with five between them.

I figure I can always find homes, but I do need to replace a few too.

Mary, Great video! Tucker and Michael get along so nice.
smile.png

Mary, great video!

As I was locking up the coop last night, I turned around in the run and nearly stepped on a small porcupine! Luckily he was more afraid of me than anything and he went right up a tree, but sheesh, it was startling. I wouldn't have enjoyed pulling quills all night had he decided to back into me instead of running.

Mary, that little dog is to cute for his own good. He was loving that play time. I missed out, are you in a motor home..just going here and there? Or to a place in particular? Does Tucker stay up front like that while you are driving? Your baby, like our two little dogs in the house.

Quote: I have heard of that happening. Mary almost lost Lukka a couple of years back because she didn't take care of herself. She had brooded several times that year. I had an Orp broody last year that crushed her chicks, then refused to adopt chicks I got for her, so she sat on air all summer. She finally emerged from the nest, clucking to her "invisible" chicks.

Mary, great video!

As I was locking up the coop last night, I turned around in the run and nearly stepped on a small porcupine! Luckily he was more afraid of me than anything and he went right up a tree, but sheesh, it was startling. I wouldn't have enjoyed pulling quills all night had he decided to back into me instead of running.
A porcupine, how cute! But pulling quills out of you all night would not be fun.

Last edited:
OH the weather it is 46 degrees here BURRRRRR from in the 70's and 80's to 40's yesterday 80 degree's

Back
Top Bottom