Sticktight Fleas

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MotherOfChickens, Nov 17, 2018.

1. MotherOfChickens

MotherOfChickens Songster

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    My rooster (he lives at my dad's place, on 22 acres of woods) has gotten sticktight fleas.

What is the best way to treat him for these nasties?

Tia!

2. I don’t know for sure, but I thibk you need to treat the bird and coop with permethrin as well as removing the fleas off the bird with tweezers.

3. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crowing

Nov 2, 2018
    Maybe ask the local pet store for some supplies to treat your birds cause if your rooster has them then the hens are likely to aswell

MotherOfChickens likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sticktight fleas are common treated by removing them physically with tweezers, and then applying plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment at the sight once a week. Vaseline/petrolatum can also be used to smother the fleas, but they may still need to be removed.

Remove old beeding from coop and burn or physically move it far away. Permethrin spray is safe to use to treat coop and facilities, and lasts for 30 days.

5. MotherOfChickens

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    My rooster lives at my dad's, so my hens are ok, thank goodness! I've read some people say Adam's Puppy and Kitten flea spray and Sevin dust. I just don't know if others have tried this.

6. MotherOfChickens

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    Is that different from Sevin?

7. MotherOfChickens

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    Is that the same as Sevin Dust?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sevin is carbaryl. Permethrin is different. The main thing is to smother the fleas on the chicken, and remove them. Treating your coop, nests, and roosts are the best way to control them. Unfortunately, that involves changing the bedding, and getting rid of the old. Carbaryl/Sevin dust is no longer approved for poultry. Permethrin or pyrethrins are approved, and are safe to use.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Martins or Gordons are two common brands sold at TSC and online. They are mixed with water, and used with a spray bottle or gallon garden type sprayer. Mixing instructions for poultry are inside the label. A pint is under $10, and a $20 quart wil last a long time. upload_2018-11-18_8-17-10.jpeg

10. MotherOfChickens

Jun 29, 2017
    Middle Tennessee
    Thank you! I will pick up some Permethrin today. When I first noticed them, I smothered with Vaseline, which seemed to do the trick. I didn't know what they were at the time. Of course, they came back. So my dad and I dusted him with Poultry Dust and repeated the Vaseline. I also cleaned his coop and dusted inside. Well.... Dad told me the other day that they are back.... Problem seems to be I didn't treat often enough nor did I treat the dirt. So I will get some today and try and do all that. Should I pick the fleas off now, or wait for the Vaseline to suffocate them, then remove them? TIA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: