Sticktight Fleas

Sticktight fleas are common treated by removing them physically with tweezers, and then applying plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment at the sight once a week. Vaseline/petrolatum can also be used to smother the fleas, but they may still need to be removed.

Remove old beeding from coop and burn or physically move it far away. Permethrin spray is safe to use to treat coop and facilities, and lasts for 30 days.

Sticktight fleas are common treated by removing them physically with tweezers, and then applying plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment at the sight once a week. Vaseline/petrolatum can also be used to smother the fleas, but they may still need to be removed.

Remove old beeding from coop and burn or physically move it far away. Permethrin spray is safe to use to treat coop and facilities, and lasts for 30 days.

Is that different from Sevin?

Sevin is carbaryl. Permethrin is different. The main thing is to smother the fleas on the chicken, and remove them. Treating your coop, nests, and roosts are the best way to control them. Unfortunately, that involves changing the bedding, and getting rid of the old. Carbaryl/Sevin dust is no longer approved for poultry. Permethrin or pyrethrins are approved, and are safe to use.

Martins or Gordons are two common brands sold at TSC and online. They are mixed with water, and used with a spray bottle or gallon garden type sprayer. Mixing instructions for poultry are inside the label. A pint is under $10, and a $20 quart wil last a long time.
upload_2018-11-18_8-17-10.jpeg

Sevin is carbaryl. Permethrin is different. The main thing is to smother the fleas on the chicken, and remove them. Treating your coop, nests, and roosts are the best way to control them. Unfortunately, that involves changing the bedding, and getting rid of the old. Carbaryl/Sevin dust is no longer approved for poultry. Permethrin or pyrethrins are approved, and are safe to use.

Thank you! I will pick up some Permethrin today. When I first noticed them, I smothered with Vaseline, which seemed to do the trick. I didn't know what they were at the time. Of course, they came back. So my dad and I dusted him with Poultry Dust and repeated the Vaseline. I also cleaned his coop and dusted inside. Well.... Dad told me the other day that they are back.... Problem seems to be I didn't treat often enough nor did I treat the dirt. So I will get some today and try and do all that. Should I pick the fleas off now, or wait for the Vaseline to suffocate them, then remove them? TIA!

Back
Top Bottom