Still eating some from last fall -- not too happy with flavor

My cornish x are not growing very fast. I have them on a high protein feed, but I think it's so hot they are not eating much. They pant horribly! I hose them down, but it doesn't help them much.

Quote:
Yup. Pretty much why decided to go with rangers for summer meat birds and try the CX in the fall. To hot in OK.

So what corner of the state are you in? And have you visited the Okie thread? Be nice to have another meat bird raiser there.

Quote:
We have a fridge that gets plugged in a week before the season. We will quarter a deer and let it rest for a week in there when its to hot to hang. At one of our camps, we have a small insulated section with 2 AC units for teh very same thing....rabid cool down. It isnt uncommon to see 90 degree temps during early bow season

Same thing here in AK, believe it or not...early moose opens up in mid to late August...I've seen temps in the HI 70s (that's a heat wave...)& like any meat, aging in that hi o' temp isn't conducive to good tasting meat...a temp of 33-40 would be ample...sounds just like what happened to these birds...What many people don't realize is that meat from the supermarket is aged 3-5 days in cool temps prior to butchering...

Back
Top Bottom