Still having wet diarrhea... day 6...so skinny...HELP

Those would be the most important things. Fenbendazole is called 'Safeguard' when labeled for horses and 'Panacur' when labeled for dogs. The only thing actually labeled for chickens is the wormer with piperizine in it. People are going to tell you to use yogurt to 'help' his gut. I think that falls under the heading of "doing something just to make the owner feel better".
My husband picked out his favorite Cochin when they hatched and named it Kevin. Talking big how Kevin was going to be the biggest toughest rooster here. Well "Kevin" is the sweetest prettiest pullet lol

The vets do have ivermectin for horses and said they have Safeguard and panacur but in very large quantities. Do you know the dose that would be required? They said if I know a dose I could get some in smaller quantities. Sara is a sweety. He was top roo until this spring when my large BO roo realized Sara was a lot smaller and did not need to run from him anymore. I am hoping Sara will drink her water. I even warmed it a bit to take the chill off. The rest of the girls are getting treated too. It seems that no matter what you try to do they still get sick sometime. I let my girls free range and they seem to love it... I suppose this puts them at higher risk of picking up things, but a happy shorter life is better then a confined and longer life!

Quote:
Well.....the tube of Safeguard I've got here is Fenbendazole 10% horse dewormer. I give 4-5 lb chickens a pea-sized glop of it. And adult Cochins get about 3 pea-sized glops. It's extremely safe stuff and overdosing them isn't a problem (unless you give them the entire tube or something). They sell it at WalMart here for about $9 a tube. If he could sell you a tube for reasonably cheap that'd be great. Then you could re-dose them in the 10 days like you're supposed to. And have plenty left over to reworm later on if/when needed. Ivermectin is fine for mites, 3-4 drops on the back of their neck-skin. But I have no faith in it for intestinal parasites. People use it all the time but that doesn't mean it works. A lot of people just use it "because everyone else uses it". Not a good enough reason for me.
As long as you understand the risks of free-ranging then nobody can tell you it's right or wrong. We all do things our own way and don't need preached at when things go wrong and we ask for advice. One of the best things for protein is scrambled eggs mixed with a spoon of canned catfood. Eggs are great for them when they don't feel good. You can add water to the eggs so they're mushy to get more liquids down him. Corn on the cob is good also. They love it and it has lots of liquid in it.

Last edited:
I will ask the vet if they have it that way. The panacur they say they have for dogs so might be in a smaller dose... your cochins must be the standard size.... my little black cochins are just little. Yeah i hate feeling guilty that I let my girls run. They love it. I will make sara up some eggs. He is still eating some and preening.. mixed with some water at least he might get more of the med!!

Quote:
I'm not sure the dosage for the dog's version of it (Panacur) but if you do a search on here for "panacur dose" I bet you'll find it. I've ran across it many times, just didn't save the info.
Yes, my Cochins are big. I have a few bantams also and then 2 mo old LF Cochins. Good luck!

Thanks Ksane. Just gave Sara some egg mashed with water with a 1/2ml of amprol in it. He ate some. Still sits quiet some and preening some. Hoping for good result. THanks again. Will update if have new info!!

Thanks, Sara is still here. Eats some, drinking some, preens some, sleeps some... hoping for a positive result too.... now I have a cornish with pea green poop and fluffed up...... AHHHHHHHHH.........

What one's got they all have. They'll all have to be treated. Hopefully Sara will improve fast and you'll have a pretty good idea of what the problem was.

So update... I have treated the girls/boys for worms (yesterday) and I have them on Amprol for Cocci (day 3 today)..... Sara is still acting off. He still eats some, more at time than others, still drinking, still acting quiet too. At times seems normal and then closes eyes and huddles in.... Poop is still runny and wet. Normal color. No signs of parisites in it. Just wondering how long after starting treatment that I should start to see improvement. Is there something else I should be doing for him?? I make him up eggs with yogurt in them. He happily eats those when I offer them and he will still get down from his perch in the cage and eat and drink on own. Always goes back up to the perch and huddles in each night for sleep. I feel like I should be doing something more.. or an I just impatient??

Back
Top Bottom