Still needing advice. Please read!

I doubt you will hear tapping outside of the incubator with your bare ears. They don't exactly have lots of room inside an egg, and aren't banging against a wall or door. Wobbling is good.

Walk away and ignore the incubator. Laundry, a walk, a book, errands, anything to get you away from and distracted from the incubator. You are tunnel vision focused on it right now, which is fine, except you are looking for major changes every hour. They just don't work that quickly. I might check eggs in the hatcher 2-3 times a day, sometimes only once a day unless I hear lots of noise.

So WHEN should I try to help it along? It's been internally pipped for 3 days now right? I'm scared I will go to sleep tonight and wake up to a baby goose that has died. I've got to at least try to help at the last chance available. Please tell me when that is....

To my knowledge that hatchling has not been internally pipped for three days yet. Not according to when you mentioned first hearing it. Go enjoy your evening. As I said earlier it is better to stop checking it every hour or you begin to stress and worry. Walk away and don't look for a few hours.

We have ducklings 36 hours late hatching past the other eggs, just checked and all but 1 are alive and finally getting around to internally pipping and working the shell.

You guys, I think he died. No wobbling since yesterday afternoon that I can see. No peep since yesterday morning. The eggs real still right now. I am not a expert but this seems like a VERY QUIET egg! He was alive and I heard him peep three times during this whole process. Thats it. And when it did wobble it was very slight. Im thinking he died late yesterday or last night. Maybe he wasn't strong enough? What do I do now? How can I be sure? :-(

Last edited:
To my knowledge that hatchling has not been internally pipped for three days yet. Not according to when you mentioned first hearing it. Go enjoy your evening. As I said earlier it is better to stop checking it every hour or you begin to stress and worry. Walk away and don't look for a few hours.
We have ducklings 36 hours late hatching past the other eggs, just checked and all but 1 are alive and finally getting around to internally pipping and working the shell.

Well, the day before I heard it for the first time I had mentioned on here I saw two bumbs in the air cell. Which I am not sure what that means. So Im thinking the day before I heard him he popped thru.. and rested that night. Then starting talking to me the next day. But I could be wrong.

I need to take this egg somewhere in OKC area to see whats going on. Does anyone know anybody? I carefully put a very small hole in the egg to give it some air last night. Put it back. Didn't lose any humidity. I candled to make sure I didn't hit the baby. Had it done and back in there within 5 min. I have heard nothing now since yesterday morning. No wobbling.. no peeping. Its just still. I am almost positive it died. I keep thinking I should have tried to save it yesterday when I heard that last peep. But I have no experience in this. Im sorry guys.. I think I lost it. What do I do now?

Last edited:
Im gonna take it to WildCare (wildlife rescue) today at 9am. Just in case. I don't want to see a little dead baby goose.. but I don't want to get rid of it just in case its still alive (which I doubt he is). Ill let you know what they say. I just can't do it anymore. :-( I think its too late to help now.

If it is DIS (dead in shell) which if you put a hole in it you could see inside by placing a flashlight against the fat end and peering into the hole. You would either see no motion or movement to confirm it is still alive or not. If not then toss the egg, and low you did what you could.

It died of exhaustion they said. I would have took it there weeks ago but the girl told me on the phone that they have little success with incubating geese eggs. I left n tears... I should have taken it there yesterday? :-( poor thing. Thanks everyone for helping.

Back
Top Bottom