Still needing advice. Please read!

Should I be worrying right now? No peeps since last night and hardly any movement since

Last edited:
no you shouldnt be worring just leave it be and hope for the best

if its strong enough it will emerge

if its not then it wont and there is nothing you could have done or do now to change that

I hear peeps again! Hes singing to me. So how long is too long? When should he be coming out? Do I need to make a hole? Also, the humidity is 71%. I can't get it higher no matter what I try. Does it need to be higher to soften the egg or something? Im have no idea.

Last edited:
Goose, if you can steam up room (and I mean sauna dripping hot/moist) where bator is before opening... then you should be ok removing egg to put a small hole into aircell. You will have to candle into air cell to make sure you do not hit baby. Be very careful when doing it. I use a screwdriver for eyeglasses to make my hole. Place against egg at slight angle and add steady pressure to break through. If you have not done it before, grab an egg from your fridge to practice... and know that the goose shell will be harder to puncture through. Also, you want to do it on the top side of egg where dip is.

If anything does not look right... open egg hole to the size of a quarter (remember to stay on top of the egg.... do not take any of the fat end off) and take a picture.

Add a washcloth with hot water when returning egg to compensate for losing the steam from opening it.

Try to only have egg out of bator for less than 5 minutes, so be prepared with tools and camera before starting.

And above all, do not panic and start busting open egg if things do not look right.

Goose, disregard my directions about putting hole in egg since you just changed your last post to say you hear it peeping again. Just sit tight and wait.

Goose, disregard my directions about putting hole in egg since you just changed your last post to say you hear it peeping again. Just sit tight and wait.

Ok. I was worried because I hadn't heard anything all day. Then after I posted I ran in there and heard little peeps. But then they stop and I don't hear them again for a long time? The egg was wobbling a little. I am worried hes not strong enough. Is it possible for him to be ok still in the morning if he HASN'T put a hole in the egg yet?I heard peeps yesterday at 8pm and today at 8pm. But no hole yet. How long can he be in there without breaking the shell before he can't breath?

Last edited:
I have had babies take 30 hours between internal and external pip. It should be ok until the morning if it is peeping now. The question is.... do you want to risk hurting baby by acting too soon? It takes a lot of skill and experience to assist hatching (and most of us lose quite a few babies in the learning process), so it is best to wait as long as possible to see if your baby can hatch on its own. Since it has been over 24 hours and it is starting to peep, that usually means it will be working on external pip. So watch closely for changes in its pattern, as it should be getting more active now.

They don't just punch out a hole at first. They hit and create a crack in the shell. Then what can feel like forever again before they do anything else. Goose shell don't soften, they just as hard as the day they were laid. The humidity is so the inner membranes don't dry out on the hatchling. Remember we have told you it is normal for it to take three days to hatch. Today is Monday and I must started having goslings hatch out completely from lockdown on Friday. That puts the first hatched for me at day 3.

If yesterday is the first time you heard a peep, then yesterday is day 1 internal pip day. Today is day 2 and tomorrow is day 3. Sometime tonight/over night into tomorrow there should be an external pip, then working it larger. Resting, then turning and working more. Resting again and the final push.

I have had babies take 30 hours between internal and external pip. It should be ok until the morning if it is peeping now. The question is.... do you want to risk hurting baby by acting too soon? It takes a lot of skill and experience to assist hatching (and most of us lose quite a few babies in the learning process), so it is best to wait as long as possible to see if your baby can hatch on its own. Since it has been over 24 hours and it is starting to peep, that usually means it will be working on external pip. So watch closely for changes in its pattern, as it should be getting more active now.

I don' t hear any tapping noises? Should I hear him trying to break the shell by now?

They don't just punch out a hole at first. They hit and create a crack in the shell. Then what can feel like forever again before they do anything else. Goose shell don't soften, they just as hard as the day they were laid. The humidity is so the inner membranes don't dry out on the hatchling. Remember we have told you it is normal for it to take three days to hatch. Today is Monday and I must started having goslings hatch out completely from lockdown on Friday. That puts the first hatched for me at day 3.
If yesterday is the first time you heard a peep, then yesterday is day 1 internal pip day. Today is day 2 and tomorrow is day 3. Sometime tonight/over night into tomorrow there should be an external pip, then working it larger. Resting, then turning and working more. Resting again and the final push.

Ok! Thanks so much. Now Im not so worried. I will let you know if anything changes.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom