Stinky,disgusting breath in hens

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
I have been smelling the most gross smell eevr when I pick a few of my hens up.Thinking it may becoming from vent,it was not,then I have gotten the idea to smell at the beak,and there it was,the smell of death.2 of my older hens seem to ahve it,have not "smelt" any others.I have been noticing some slobbering,and even water draining right back out after drinks and a few hens.

The reason for posting here is because I know for a fact,stink breath,is defiantly nothing normal in chickens.

My chickens are on a all flock feed,and get 2 1/2 scoops of scratch in the afternoon,everyday,and sometimes when I am here on the farm,they get scratch hand fed throughout the day.Also get several treats every other day.

What is this?Why is it happening?

I have been smelling the most gross smell eevr when I pick a few of my hens up.Thinking it may becoming from vent,it was not,then I have gotten the idea to smell at the beak,and there it was,the smell of death.2 of my older hens seem to ahve it,have not "smelt" any others.I have been noticing some slobbering,and even water draining right back out after drinks and a few hens.

The reason for posting here is because I know for a fact,stink breath,is defiantly nothing normal in chickens.

My chickens are on a all flock feed,and get 2 1/2 scoops of scratch in the afternoon,everyday,and sometimes when I am here on the farm,they get scratch hand fed throughout the day.Also get several treats every other day.

What is this?Why is it happening?
Sounds like sour crop. Feel the crop, especially in the morning when it is supposed to be empty ... if it is still bulgey, but soft, and stinky breath, it's probably sour crop. Hold the hen upside down and firmly massage her crop until she vomits up the trapped fluid. After a few days of this, it should clear.

Your chickens have sour crop look up treatment on google there is treatment that you can do I'm pretty sure you have to make them barf idk how but videos can tell you how, but their definitely showing signs of sour crop

I also forget to mention,they get into crushed eggs sometimes,if that has anything tod o with it.I felt her crop and the other hens and it felt as if she is empty,i'll check tomorrow.

Ok the other hens breath I smelt would not throw up,the Buff Orpington,puked twice everywhere!:sick:sickDo I just massage the crop?That is what I did and she puked.I am re searching and its says it is caused by too much bread,eating rubber,and "OTHER" indigestible things,caught them eating Styrofoam.

I will be adding grit,although I thought by now all the foraging something they eat out there is consisting of grit.

I am scared for this procedure. The hen acted as if she was dying after making her puke,almost a sif she couldn't even breath!Scary,is it normal.I have had to make a hen puke before,maybe she died from this,her crop was huge,you could see it across the yard.
Any help and assist would be nice.

I am scared for this procedure. The hen acted as if she was dying after making her puke,almost a sif she couldn't even breath!Scary,is it normal.I

Be careful when vomiting a chicken, you can only do this in very short "bursts". There is a risk of aspirating (choking) on fluids.

I recommend that you read this article linked in it's entirety before attempting any treatment. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/

Providing poultry grit free choice (crushed granite), plenty of fresh water, wet feed/mash and eliminating treats (bread, scratch, corn, etc) for several days, along with massaging her crop and following the course of treatment as described in the article, hopefully she will recover soon.

did they get into something they should have...?
I'd look around and clean up the whole area, where they eat and sleep...

Back
Top Bottom