Stinky sneezy hen? infection

mviera101

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
S. Fla
Hello :frow
I got a new young egg laying hen, 3 weeks ago. She initially seemed stuffy and was sneezing.(clear).She was in a rather dusty pen so I've been watching her. She has no mucus or any discharge from eyes. She is active, laying and eating well. Her comb is bright. Her poo while not unlike the other gals is softer, and smelly as well. She does however have a smell that seems to be getting stronger.(emitting from her facial area) I have an avain vet, but was wondering if this is something I could treat?
Thank you!

Wow... whew... the mouth seems to be the source. I've never looked inside a chickens mouth but what I saw was the cleft in the roof of her mouth and it was darker in color not pink. Nothing swollen or oozing. I'm going to try again later when she roosts.
She does have a bit of a rattle kinda of cough. My first thought was that she had an upper respiratory infection, because of the smell, like snot?..

She's on to me now .....and will not open that mouth. She sits on my lap and snores like an old man though...

There's are two things I know of that can cause a foul odor around the head area or mouth;
Canker or Coryza. Canker is a protozoa that causes lesions in the mouth, esophagus and crop.
Coryza is a bacterial respiratory disease. Symptoms are clearly visible with facial swelling, sneezing, wheezing, mucus in nares, runny eyes.
Birds with canker or coryza are carriers for life, meaning they can spread the disease to other birds.

Last edited:
There's are two things I know of that can cause a foul odor around the head area or mouth;
Canker or Coryza. Canker is a protozoa that causes lesions in the mouth, esophagus and crop.
Coryza is a bacterial respiratory disease. Symptoms are clearly visible with facial swelling, sneezing, wheezing, sneezing, mucus in nares, runny eyes.
Birds with canker or coryza are carriers for life, meaning they can spread the disease to other birds.

Can sour crop cause foul smell from the mouth as well?

Coryza is a bacterial respiratory disease. Symptoms are clearly visible with facial swelling, sneezing, wheezing, mucus in nares, runny eyes.
Thank you both for that information. I'm thinking its more of Coryza because of her sneezing . I'm going to get her into my vet to see what we can do for her. I'm grateful for this site and the knowledgeable folks like you. :D

Thank you both for that information. I'm thinking its more of Coryza because of her sneezing . I'm going to get her into my vet to see what we can do for her. I'm grateful for this site and the knowledgeable folks like you. :D
So ... took Maizey to the vet who gave her Clindamycin 150 mg.. capsule, any ideas on just how to get this pill down the throat of this 1.5 lb chicken? Cannot break open.
Never had to do this , dogs ,yes using meat, cheese,or peanut butter.🤪

What did the vet say about Maizey?
Perhaps you can break open the capsule and mix it with her favorite treat that you'll know she'll eat, maybe add a little water only if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom